Throwdown #10: Mushrooms

my first throwdown entry:

grilled mushrooms, mushroom veggie mix, and served with side of steak and lobster and a grilled jalapeno

Mushrooms ready for the grill in the #5 griswold small logo cast iron skillet. Seasoned with canola oil, salt and pepper, and worcestershire sauce. butter was added during the cook as well.
E8BAABDD-9ADB-4AF4-BB61-176B459AC51D-2198-000002D5A7C52608.jpg

veggie dish getting happy in the #10 griswold block epu skillet. veggie mix was mushrooms, orange pepper, broccoli, jalapeno, zucchini, and celery. seasoned with salt and pepper and worcestershire sauce and a little water as a steaming agent.
9F79D73C-AF82-40B4-80EF-249CF5AB8ADF-2198-000002D5A44EDEC5.jpg

side of steak and jalapeno getting their grill on. steaks seasoned with salt and pepper and lawrys seasoning salt and seared on my weber cast iron sear grate above weber charcoal trays on the 22.5" blue one touch gold:
17BBA4E4-2DD0-4565-9BFB-6F199E39342A-2198-000002D5A23CF337.jpg

mushrooms getting their grill on and steaks finishing up indirect:
21B45488-BEBD-4462-8F1C-2B5F958DF097-2198-000002D59C022678.jpg

plated photo:
AA83104E-830B-4F23-90F0-24BEBAEBA493-2198-000002D596E4557D.jpg

Last edited:
Duck and wild rice stuffing stuffed mushrooms

I actually did these with the leftover duck I had for Throwdown #9,

Ingredients:
1 cup Diced cooked duck, lightly seasoned with salt & pepper
1 cup cooked wild rice
1 1/2 cups toasted bread crumbs
1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1 lb baby portabella mushrooms
1 tbl Worcester sauce

Mix all the ingredients together (except the mushrooms of course). Reserve 1/4 cup of the gruyere cheese.

one.jpg

Remove the stems from each mushroom, place a small pinch of cheese in the bottom, and stuff with the mixture.
two.jpg

three.jpg

Place in the smoker for 30 min to an hour at 275
four.jpg

five.jpg

Ready to eat!
six.jpg

seven.jpg

Last edited:
Greek kabobs with shrooms, onions, peppers.

This is my first throwdown. I like seeing all the entries. I think its a fun little competion.

Kabobs after marinading
DSC00968_zpsa4746f21.jpg

Seasoning
DSC00969_zps85b3265c.jpg

Grilling on the kettle
DSC00972_zps8dd51519.jpg

Plated with pita pocket, rice pilaf, and cucumber sauce
DSC00973_zpsbbc2e292.jpg

GREAT LOOKING FOOD GUYS!!!!! Can't wait to see what's coming from other people.

If anyone remembers my lamb burger from the ground meat competition, or any dish that I've made and posted on the forum, you can probably tell that I LOVE mushrooms. This will be an awesome contest and maybe I can get in on it before it closes. BTW, sorry I absolutely disappeared on the pork loin competition after I picked that for a category, had some serious health problems but doing alright now.

My first entry! Hope you folks like it. It's actually something I have posted up in the recipe section of the forum, this time with pictures. Very easy to make. I've done these in the oven, and in my WSM cooker many times. I would say that the oven method is better although YMMV. The ones made in the WSM have bacon that is less crispy, and less juice. These were done in the oven.

Scallop Stuffed Shrooms

Pop the stem out of a large mushroom cap. Save the stem for duxelle. These babies were over 2 inches in diameter. Trimming out the ring part around the edge isn't needed.

IMG_2920SMENH.jpg

Put a large sea scallop into the mushroom cap. I season the scallops with a very small amount of Old Bay. If you cannot get fresh dry scallops, use frozen ones that have been completely thawed. A quick note about scallops (and other 'enhanced' product). Dry scallops are ones that have not been soaked in a sodium solution. The scallops suck this stuff up like a sponge and you pay for the added water weight. As they cook, all that excess water comes out, and the scallops become smaller & tough. Plus the scallops get this chemical taste from the 'enhancement'. Not for me TYVM.

IMG_2923SMENH.jpg

IMG_2922SMENH_zpsa8c6e6e5.jpg

Wrap with bacon so the ends are over the scallop. The bacon will retract off the top of the scallop a bit as it cooks.

IMG_2926SMENH.jpg

Bake untill the bacon is cooked, 15 minutes or so in a 375 oven. Plate them up, and pour any pan juice over the whole thing. That stuff is a concentrated marriage of shroom & scallop juice plus bacon fat, Yumminess! Cooking in the WSM takes longer. I suggest not putting these naked over the fire, any pan juice will be lost. Too much smoke will kill the flavor, all you want is just a kiss.

IMG_2934SMENH-1_zpsa1d918c1.jpg

Enjoy these... they will not last long on anyone's plate. Thanks for voting!

Found a $20 Penzey's Spices gift card in the prize closet. I'll give it to the winner of this throwdown.

Nice entries so far...let's see some more!

Regards,
Chris

I've been battling a cold and decided to make a pot of soup following this recipe
http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/soups/r/Mushroom-Barley.htm
Than I remembered this throw-down so decided to add a little Weber twist.

Smoked Mushroom & Barley Soup.

I started right about noon, nice day 25deg and sunny.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

1/2 chimney of RO lump set over my propane torch for a minute.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

The mini bellas were thick sliced with S&P/butter on top set in a pan with Apple and Cherry on the side.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

About two hrs at 250-275 I pulled them off.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Added more coals and terribly over cooked some onions. Added 1 quart of beef and 2 quarts of chicken stock along with the smoked bellas to the DO.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Meanwhile had the dried ones soaking for a few hrs in hot water.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Gently lifted them out with my hand so not to disturb any grit from the bowl, than added the soak slowly while keeping the grit on the bottom.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

1 cup of rinsed and drained barley was added than brought to a boil and simmered for an hr.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

It was getting dark out so I apologize for the out of focus shot.
2 c sour cream with 2T flour whisked together than tempered with a ladle of hot broth.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

That took awhile to come to a boil, but it did and I whisked till it finally thickened.
Served with a shot of sour cream and some crostini for crunch.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

This was fun! Thank's for looking.

Tim

Last edited:
Back to back soup!

I've been doing a smoked mushroom soup for a while now. I got the recipe from a branch of my wife's family who are in Florida and frequent Disney. They are big fans of this soup and took us to Artist Point just to have us try it. Disney is cool with sharing recipes so our server gave us a copy after dinner (little did we know it was all over the internet).

recipe here:
http://allears.net/din/rec_sps.htm

three portobellos on the smoker during the last hour of smoking bacon

IMG_8579.JPG

IMG_8587.JPG

after that it was a simple matter of following a recipe

IMG_8645.JPG

Thanks for looking, and get smoking 'shrooms people!

Last edited:
Habanero Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms - Throwdown!

Here is my entry for the Mushroom Throwdown.

IMG_6752_zps32f15c40.jpg

Mushrooms, shrimp, habanero peppers...

IMG_6753_zps38a7f2d7.jpg

Stuffed together.

IMG_6756_zps41bab0b5.jpg

Dipped in spicy beer batter.

IMG_6759_zps385fe5b5.jpg

Kitty approved.

IMG_6762_zps89032a44.jpg

Deep fried on the Weber to make it official.

IMG_6763_zps76322693.jpg

After their oil bath.

IMG_6765_zps8914116e.jpg

Ready to eat! They were awesome.

My submisson for Throwdown #10 Mushrooms is a Mushroom Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with a Potatoe and Brown Mushroom Sauce, served along side a Portabella Mushroom Caprese Salad.

The Pork Tenderloin:

four slices of bacon sauted in olive oil
sliced baby bellas, shiitakes, and oyster mushrooms
salt, pepper, garlic
bread crumbs
parsley

IMG_1297_zpse6755b0b.jpg

IMG_1299_zps7e59fd77.jpg

IMG_1300_zps19dac273.jpg

The Brown Sauce:

Butter, flour, garlic, buillion, salt and pepper to make a medium brown roux
sauted sliced baby bella mushrooms
red wine
worcestershire sauce

IMG_1301_zps5b72336d.jpg

IMG_1302_zps4e59df9c.jpg

Grilled Portabella Mushrooms with Tomatoes and fresh Mozzarella:

salt, pepper, garlic
grape tomatoes
fresh water packed mozzarella
basil

IMG_1292_zps9f1ff5b6.jpg

I seasoned and grilled the tenderloin, portabellas, and sauted some onions:

IMG_1307_zps83ef718f.jpg

...and added par boiled red potatoes to the cast iron:

IMG_1308_zps63d318ee.jpg

When everything was grilled to perfection, I sauced the potatoes, added the caprese to the portabella caps, and garnished the tenderloin with parsley and lemon zest:

IMG_1311_zps4f14d942.jpg

For your critique:

IMG_1312_zps5db9552d.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you guys and gals are making some amazing meals, these all look better than any of the meals that I've had when I've gone out and paid good money for it. All I can say is Yummmmmmmm!

NorthWoods BBQ Mushroom Sliders

Ok, so there are all kinds of Sothern styles for BBQ Pulled Pork (Just YouTube Rhett & Link - 'The BBQ Song' if you can't remember them all), so I thought I would throw out a great Northwood’s version built on Mushrooms.

I started with the usual suspects. A small Pork Butt, some extra ribs bits I had hanging around the freezer, a few kinds of Mushrooms, and several other miscellaneous ingredients. Being new to the family, Jethro didn't know what to make of the pile of goodness collected on the table. He just knew he wanted it.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Next, I had to wait for the weather to warm up a bit. This morning, the temp broke -0 (Yes Negative) on its way to a balmy 10 degrees and we only had 6 inches of fresh new snow. Sweet, now it’s time to grill. I am soo excited. That WSM in the back is brand new!!!
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

So after an overnight brine and a quick brown sugar rub, the Shoulder and Rib Bits were ready to hit the Smoke. I went with Pecan for a light mild flavor and the wait began.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

I actually started the shoulder 4 hours earlier, and smoked an additional 4 with the Riblets. Once they were done, I pulled them and left the shoulder to finish its climb towards 200. The Rib Bits had their own party to go to.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Now with the shoulder finishing, I tossed some Baked Beans in a skillet and dropped them on the grill next to some Portabellas and a few buttons and Belle's skewered, then lightly buttered with Dill and Garlic. Then after getting some nice grill marks on the Port's, it's time to slice and dice them with the rib meat.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Now these are some good lookin beans!!! It's just a Maple Syrup Recipe with the Rib Bits and Ports mixed in.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Alright, it's time to get back to the knife to dice up some more mushrooms and onions before dropping it in a super-hot skillet with Butter and a bit of Olive Oil. This combination is a simple topping for almost anything, just the way it is, but we are not through with it today.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

We are mixing the Onions and Mushrooms in with the freshly pulled Pork. After the shoulder hits 200, it literally falls apart on the plate. Just combine and toss.
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

So, for dinner today, it's Garlic Butter Grilled Mushrooms, with Maple Portabella Riblet Baked Beans, along with Northwood’s BBQ Mushroom Pulled Pork Sliders
ImageGalleryHandler.ashx

Oh So Good. This was a fun cook and trust me, there is nothing like outdoor cooking in a foot of snow and in negative temps. Oh so worth it.

Back