New WSM in the freezing cold

Fred M

Greetings all. Just purchased a WSM so I could cook for a buddy's birthday party. I normally cook on my custom built insulated upright smoker but it was in Texas and party was in Illinois.

Due to the 20 degree temps, I contemplated a Green Egg for its insulation capabilities. I decided against the Green Egg because of price and limited space for meat. I cooked (2) 20 pound briskets and (2) 10 pound butts with no problems on WSM. I solved my insulation problem by wrapping a water heater blanket around the bottum. 240 degree temp was maintained for 12 hours on one 20lb bag of Kingsford charcoal. Keep this in mind, I opened the smoker once an hour to baste butts.

I only had one problem on my first WSM cook. The temp gauge collected condensation on the inside. This was a small problem so I was very pleased with this smoker! Meat was great!

I thought long and hard about the BGE. While Egg burns less fuel the $299.00 was just too hard to turn down. I have loved mine. I also agree on the cooking space.

I'm looking for welding blankets this week so I can sew an insulated cover and gaskets to stop the leaks. "Pimp My WSM"

At what outside temp does WSM need to be insulated? Friday was my first cook and I insulated with water heater blanket.

It really doesn't need to be insulated, it just helps with fuel consumption. Wind is a huge factor so the blanket would help in windy conditions even if the temperature isn't bad.

My lid thermometers all got condensation. I removed them in all the cookers and replaced them with another vent to help with high heat cooking. Others will disagree, but I don't really care what the dome temperature is, I want to know the grate temp. I suppose you could, if the lid thermometers were accurate enough. learn the difference and just adjust accordingly. I'd rather just look and see the temp, not try to figure it.

Last edited:
The temp gauge collected condensation on the inside.
Welcome to the forum & the WSM. Fire up your second cook and I bet your condensation will disappear. Mine collects condensation but always clears up in the early part of the next cook.

Back