Debugging a 3.2 boards functionality

Kevin Scott

Happy New Year to everyone! Without going into a lot of detail about the circumstances, it appears that the ver 3.2 board I recently completed had the power to it reversed when it was installed in the linksys (attached the the serial header) and when power was applied something must have gotten damaged in either the HM board on the serial circuitry on the WRT54GL. Hooked up correctly, the led has stopped flashing on boot or reset and I can no longer talk to it from the router.

Any suggestions on where to start looking at what might have gotten damaged? All I know is the AVR is fine... I would think that it's a component that is sensitive to polarity ( diodes, etc)...

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

I don't know enough about the electronics to say what could be broken or not, but you could always just hook up the 12V and ground lines and put a multimeter on it. Make sure you've got 5V coming out of the regulator. See if when it boots you can get another LED to flash. See if you've got 5V coming out of the AVR's Serial TX (pin 3).

Thanks Bryan. I will give it a shot.

I don't know enough about the electronics to say what could be broken or not, but you could always just hook up the 12V and ground lines and put a multimeter on it. Make sure you've got 5V coming out of the regulator. See if when it boots you can get another LED to flash. See if you've got 5V coming out of the AVR's Serial TX (pin 3).

Back