Long time brewer hoping to become better at the grill and smoker

SMarquez

Happy New Year everyone!

I'm from Littleton CO, just southwest of Denver.

I've been home brewing beer for several years, and feel that it is time that I learn the ways around a grill and smoker.

I have a 2006 Weber Summit fueled with natural gas, and an older Weber Kettle that is in decent shape.

I am ignorant on how to get the best from my equipment, and found this site looking for advice.

Last Thanksgiving I smoked a 14 lb turkey on a natural gas Weber Silver, using the foil packet method. I was happy with the results.

This year we had my wife's parents over, and also (new to me) an upgrade to the Summit.

After reading a bit, I thought I'd replicate the previous year's (subjective) success at smoking a holiday turkey. This time using the Summit and following the Apple Brine recipe.

However in this case, I did not use the foil packet, but rather placed mesquite chunks directly on the vaporizer bars.

Of course they burst into flames, raising the temp to nearly 500 F, and scorched the outside of one side of the turkey. It made quite the impression to my in-laws, but not the kind I was hoping for.

I pulled the scorched turkey and finished inside in our kitchen oven. Obviously I have a lot to learn.

BTW, despite the outside becoming scorched, the dinner was a success. Maybe it was the Belgian Golden Strong......

:cool:

Last edited:

Back