New from Northern Illinois

Fred Sund

My WSM 22.5 is on order! It should be here this week. The only question I have has to do with seasoning the smoker. I have read about using bacon to do it. Does this work or should I just start smoking and let it season through use?

Thanks,

Fred

Fire that baby up and stick a hunk of meat in there. It will burn hot the first few times, but will settle down as the GUNK builds up. I can't have my smoker going without having meat in there. :wsm:

Hi Fred and welcome aboard.

WSMs are enameled inside and out, they do not need seasoning.

The cooker will build up a coating of gunk after a few cooks, which is a good thing.

Good luck.

Bob

Thanks for the welcomes. I spent the last year cooking on a cheapo verticle from Menards so I'm really looking forward to having some actual temp control. I'm also looking forward to the advice and tips I will be getting from this forum.

Thanks again,

Fred

Welcome Fred, don't worry about breaking it in; that will all come naturally in time. Just stick whatever you feel like on that smoker, read these awesome helpful hints on this site and you are well on your way.

Mike

Welcome aboard Fred!
My BIL want's to sell me his 22.5" WSM and buy a lectric vertical smoker from Menard's
Go Figure LOL!

Tim

Back