Made a few Mini's as X-Mas gifts.

J Pichey

TVWBB Fan
This little obsession is becoming more and more fun. I had a few friends asking for Mini's for the holidays. Here are a few pics.

Steelers Mini:

IMG_1122_zps9b4a01d8.jpg

Philly Eagles Mini:

IMG_1159_zps173c95db.jpg

Packers Mini:

IMG_1173_zps24acc0ad.jpg

IMG_1175_zpsf05f6414.jpg

NFC North BBQ Battle :

IMG_1180_zpsc156511e.jpg

ok, so with all these painted ones popping up, i have a question. what paint are you using and how is it really holding up ? i would like to do something with mine i think.
but burnt or chipped paint just can't look good either. thanks,

I've had really good success with the VHT Engine Paints. So far, no issues with discoloration or chipping. You can also use some primer as a base coat. Make sure you finish with a VHT clear coat as well. The only issue I have had is the with the top vent. The ones I painted turn a little dark from the smoke, but that is to be expected. Here is a really good step by step process that I follow. Check out the Cleland Method here: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?22543-S-J-Gold-Mini-WSM-Smoker/page87

Great job. I just finished making my first one right before Christmas and used it for the first time to make a fatty on Christmas morning. Found another SJG on CL a couple of days before Christmas and ordered a steamer pot from Amazon to give to my son as a present. Spent Christmas afternoon building my second one. Seems that most people end up making more than one.

J the paint jobs look fantastic!! And the stenciling is impressive too. What are you using for tape? I've tried using labels; disastrous results. Masking tape tends to eventually lose it's hard edge resulting in bleed over. So what's your secret?

I used die cut decals instead of tape. I've found that it's best to remove them while the paint is still wet or the paint will start to dry and peeling can be difficult. I paint....peel.....clear seal. :cool:

J the paint jobs look fantastic!! And the stenciling is impressive too. What are you using for tape? I've tried using labels; disastrous results. Masking tape tends to eventually lose it's hard edge resulting in bleed over. So what's your secret?

I used die cut decals instead of tape. I've found that it's best to remove them while the paint is still wet or the paint will start to dry and peeling can be difficult. I paint....peel.....clear seal. :cool:

I would imagine that could get costly, but there's no denying the quality... I'll have to give that a try.

J, which pot are you using, and does it come with those handles? I like the insulation factor they look like they provide, plus the match to the lid handle is another plus.

Also, I noticed that all 3 of the ones you made are SJ Gold models. Any particular reason? I ask because I have to buy a SJ to make my own mini and I want to get the best one for the job.

Thanks for the information!

Mike, I use the Vasconia 32 qt pot from Amazon. They come with the plastic handles attached. They are great insulating against the heat from the pot. Well worth it. If you look at the pics on Amazon, they do not show the handles, but each one I ordered had them. I just noticed that the price dropped from $39 to $30 on these, so that is a bonus. If you can find one at Walmart, you might find it even cheaper.

I decided to go with the SJG because of the location of the air intake holes. The SJS intake is at the bottom and can clog up on longer cooks according to some posts I have read. For $5 more, it was worth it to me.

Have fun!!!

J, which pot are you using, and does it come with those handles? I like the insulation factor they look like they provide, plus the match to the lid handle is another plus.

Also, I noticed that all 3 of the ones you made are SJ Gold models. Any particular reason? I ask because I have to buy a SJ to make my own mini and I want to get the best one for the job.

Thanks for the information!

Man those things look sweet. I would ask you to make me a Jaguar one, but I wouldnt want to embarass myself on a public forum.

I just picked up a SJS today, may have to build one of those

Rick,

I take my Lions Mini with me to every tailgate, so embarrassment is part of the deal when we love our teams. :) Be Proud!!!!

Man those things look sweet. I would ask you to make me a Jaguar one, but I wouldnt want to embarass myself on a public forum.

I just picked up a SJS today, may have to build one of those

Back