Skin the bird?

Treg Andrews

Hi Guys.

I would like to ask for some second opinions.

In the past, I have completely skinned some whole chickens and once with a turkey, before smoking them. The results have been good in my opinion but I have never had anyone elses to compare with. My logic is to remove the skin to that the smoke and seasoning can penetrate the meat better. I don't eat it anyway... Christmas dinner is at my house this year and I already have some skeptics on "Smoked Turkey" so I want to do this right.

Any reason not to do this?

JMO/ Keep the skin on for cooking. Place your seasoning under the skin. If your so opposed to the skin: remove after cooking.

I'm thinking the skin helps to hold in moisture and keep the meat from drying out especially in the breast area. We somethimes buy Herbed chicken pre-cooked but warm and ready to serve, it's skinless. It's good but the meat is a lot dryer. I'm with Marc, I would not want to remove the skin until after because poultry does not need a lot of smoke for flavor.

I keep the skin on and put a compound butter between the skin and the meat. Mix what ever rub you are using with some poultry seasaming into butter and put as much under the skin as you can. It will keep the meat moist and flavorful

Another "skin on". Prep under the skin as said. I wouldn't skin the bird even just to try it. Skinless vs skin on chicken breast is more than convincing enough.

Rich

Besides the moisture reasons I'm thinking that without the skin your turkey might take on too much smoke for people who are already dubious about smoked meat. I know my wife is not as big a fan as me so I have to go a little easy on the smoke. Better to keep the skin on in my opinion and benefit from the fat that renders out of it to moisten the meat and then the meat is more subtle smoke wise. Good luck.

Thanks all. I definitely didn't have any dryness problems last year. In fact, when I cut into the breast, so much juice come out my that initial reaction was something was wrong... Theres always a good chance that it was beginner luck too! :D

I asked and I am going to try it your way this time.
I did a 24 hour soak in apple brine. It's in the fridge now with some butter, pepper and roasted chicken seasoning rubbed all over.

Back