Turkey and Ham on WSM

Brad W Perth

Hi,

Bought an ECB or in Australia an ECG (El Cheapo Gasmate) a while back and after the usual mods did okay on it and led me to get a WSM. Loving it but only a few weeks in and still getting a handle on running it. Done a few runs of BRITU and a few chickens and yesterday turkey legs so far everyone is loving it. Now with Christmas coming up I want to try a big feast of Turkey and Ham so posting to get thoughts on doing these in the same session or not?

Turkey
I plan to use the apple brine recipe but just realized after some reading I have bought a brined turkey so need to find a regular one somewhere. The label says “Marinated to lock in flavor and tenderness” Ingredients lists, salt, vegetable gum, flavors, spice extract etc. Anyhow I am happy to chalk this up to learning process and will just use it as is. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

Ham
I have ordered a cured ham (brined only) should come in around 4-4.5kgs (9-10lbs). I found the supermarkets near me don’t sell anything but ready to eat so had to order one from the butcher.

Wood
Smoking not a big thing here so I still finding my supplies. Easily get hold of hickory, mesquite chunks around my way the rest is all very small chips of usually apple, cherry, mesquite. I am sure with some travel I can get apple and cherry chunks but realistically I don’t think I’m gonna get time before Christmas.

So my questions:
1. Are there any recipes on the site for this type of ham (cannot find them yet if they are there sorry).

2. What are the odds of trying to cook both in the same session or would it be better to do the ham the day before and reheat etc?

3. If I do them in the same session will they impart strong flavor on each other?

4. Woods to use considering my limited selection?

Found a few people trying this on the forum but just want to try get details on temp to use for both, water in pan or not etc, I am thinking 275-300F.

Thanks in advance top site and really useful information.

Hi Brad,
Personally with the turkey I would go with one of the fruit woods. Mesquite imparts a strong flavor, I prefer for short hot cooks like steaks. A little hickory on the ham works great. So I think I would cook them separately. One man's opinion:wsm:

I have done a spiral sliced ham which was already cooked so really I just heated it up while adding more smoke. And I have done a cpl Butterball turkeys. But I've not done them at the same time (two different occasions - one Thanksgiving and the other Easter).

I believe you could do them together with some backwards planning (finish time minus start of shortest cook minus start of longest cook).

I would cook the ham on top or at least cook the turkey in a pan. I treat poultry like Kryptonite. But that's just me.

I am a less is more guy when it comes to smoke so I think I used Apple on both. I have some Peach, Cherry, and Oak on hand. I only use the Oak for beef.

Regardless of what you do don't stress. It'll turn out great. Have fun!

IMG_1129.jpg

004_zps58ca090f.jpg

Last edited:

Back