Polysicence Immersion Heaters

I havent tryed one myself,but i know ppl that owns a creative one and love it. Support tanks up to 20l witch is all you need i guess. Its a quality unit 4 sure.

I like that it's single compact unit. If I need to work with more than 20L I can do a build of one of the systems folks have shared on other boards.

I have not tried it either, but it looks much better than my "laboratory style" unit. It has a safety feature, as well, which is nice.
If you need a larger tank than 20 litres from time to time, I'd try an extra heater in the tank, one that is not regulated. I suppose that would work well.

Hi Geir - hmm that could work. I figure a separate home built for larger tanks would be the way to go. I'll be awhile though playing with 20L capacity for awhile though I suppose. That will give me time to think about what to do about larger size/capacity should I need it. Not sure how much SV will take off with me. Just picked one up on Ebay for $370.

Last edited:
I work with a 24l tank(unit supports up to 50l) But i cant imagine needing that. The normal demi sousvide supreme holds 8l i think...And the big one 10. So 20 is good enough. And if you ever need more space you can always do two batches(and chill inbetween)

Yeah I think the max of 21L will work fine. Received the unit yesterday along with the Poly Cambro food containers. Tested it out just heating water. The food containers are sized really nice. Based on that size it should work nicely. And right - can do two batches. Seems to be solid unit. I bought two of the Cambro's so I can set one inside the other for some added insulation, along with a lid.

Thanks to a "What to ask Santa" thread here I purchased for the wife (and I) a PS Creative Series unit and a copy of Modernist Cuisine at Home. Couldn't keep it under wraps til X-mas so we could start playing. Thawing some short ribs now for a 72 hour cook soon. Hope to document it and share.

Told the wife she wouldn't ever guess what I bought. She was blown away with the research I did and is really excited about sous vide.

jz

Just as a follow-up. I know there are folks here that have more experience with sous vide than I. Just want to say this item is as important to me know as a sharp chef's knife.

Been playing since I got it. Everything I've tried whether messing with left overs, experimenting with undercooked ribs from a local BBQ joint, simply creating a great glazed carrot side, blah, blah blah. If you can afford one, well worth the price. Ebay has some good prices. The unit I have is the cheaper model, but have to say it's built extremely well and accomodates easily from a few quarts in a pot pulled from the shelf to the 21 litre cambro. Just an amazing product so far.

Best example from a simplistic view. My son is a long time friend who's father has ventured into the bar/restaurant business. The venue has a lot of challenges in terms of Sq Ft for the kitchen. He recently has been trying BBQ - accolades should apply for trying. As we've experimented with the BBQ fare the spicing, rubs and sauces are fine. The challenge is scaling the whole deal given the challenges of the asset. Long story short we've tried the ribs (they do short ribs, St. Louis style). Have to say pretty decent first try. Second try way under cooked. Marianne, Michael and I each had one and we got to the issue at the quick. Under cooked. We stopped (had 16 ribs). Like to think I "saved" them. Vac sealed them then cooked for a good long while, 24 hours then chilled them and saved for later. Pulled them out of the fridge yesterday. Back in the sous vide for an hour at 140. Pulled from the bags, brushed with their own juices (oh, also checked that they now passed the skewer test) then torched just a little. In the 600 degree oven for 3-4 minutes - and a totally different product. The original flavor notes were preserved and excellent. Helped me prove a point that scaling and being able to cook till done is a big challenge when trying to create a commercial BBQ menu. This venue has serious physical challenges, it's not the owner/cook. They are trying to figure things out.

But this Polysicence Immersion cooker has introduced a whole other element for me at home. And I didn't have to build it myself. I might still build something for a very large tank. But for home use right now a 21 litre capacity is pretty darn big.

Last edited:
"And I didn't have to build it myself."

I've read some of the threads of home built units and glad I popped for the PS unit.

jz

The PS I bought has been performing great. An awesome tool to have in the kitchen. It's like having another oven. Well built.

The PS creative series is a real game changer. Considering it's not much more (or actually less than, with your ebay price) than the dumb SV Supreme, it's killer. I would probably have one if it had been around back when I put together my rig.

I've been curious about how it preforms and it sounds like it works well.

I was directed to this site a while back when it was just a skeleton of what it is now. I stumbled on it again and can say it's a great sous vide resource

http://www.chefsteps.com/

Nice resource thanks for posting JB.

It has totally inserted itself into the tool box in that whenever I am planning something long term, short term, impromptu. I look to see how this can work.

It's become an extra oven (game changer) that has very precise temp control under the 200 degrees or so typical of home ovens. It's become a second place or same place to the GE Velos that I have in the kitchen. I can make anything now perfectly depending on what I choose. The main oven/range might seem a little lacking but it has proven very versatile over the 20 years - is a vintage Jennair SEG.

I'll keep it short though. This is a great way to add a very inexpensive very precise oven to your tool set. Every "food hobbyist" should consider one. I just did tri tip with it for example. Not perfect because I was lazy but the possibilities increase 10 fold. Made some what I would call perfect wings, duck, steaks, etc. The WSM and Performer are fully engaged, just become part of the process.

That said - I really think an "immersion oven" in the kitchen for those who love to cook is probably a serious choice. The PS/Immersion tech provides one the opportunity to select the vessel size which is key IMHO. Sous Vide Supreme misses the mark in a big way IMHO.

Whats cool about the PS solution is that you can pick any pot, vessel, etc to make it do what you want. Might need to be aware of having some sort of cognizance of volume or even a weighting method to keep things submerged. I've used the big rectangular Cambros, small cylindrical Cambro, Stock Pot, old classic forever vessels, etc. Pick the size of the product you are cooking and pick the vessel - clamp it on, pick the temp and you will have perfect temp finish.

Out of the bag, pull ice and fridge for later, etc. or complete the meal. Throw on the grill, in the smoker or in the oven. Makes prep easy frankly. Just really need to know "done" and temps and realize you can still over cook. Thing that I like about immersion heater ovens is the time extension. Just freaking awesome. Throw in and walk away.

I would really like to know what Kevin Kruger thinks about all this (Sous Vide). I'm thinking he might say totally unnecessary :) Which is frankly true, same as with ATC, but I have one. Some things you really don't "need" but handy to have. This is truly one that is handy to have IMHO.

Good to hear from you JB and thanks for the input.

On another note - whenever you or Kevin come to Philly town - let me know/stop by - Rita, Bryan - you too. Learned a bunch from you folks.

Last edited:

Back