Nubie in Charcoal grilling (smoking a prime rib this weekend)

Ted Noe

Hey everyone,

My name is Ted. I just bought the 18.5" smoke mountain yesterday. I'm semi-familiar with smoking in general, but brand new with charcoal. I read a post about a guy being frustrated about maintaining temps. It sounds like less coals and making slight adjustments rather than extreme. In general, how long can I expect a 8lb prime rib to take if temps are maintained around 225 mark. Also, at what point do I put in my wood chips? Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

Hi Ted and welcome aboard.

I always fill my charcoal ring to the top.
I put 4 or 5 fist sized chunks of wood in with my charcoal, at the beginning.

Bob

Hi Ted,
you might have trouble maintaining 225 in a brand new smoker. I admire you diving right in and going for a Prime Rib Roast.
Like Bob says. Use a full ring of K-blue. I don't use any smoke wood on Prime Rib, just my preference.
Start the WSM at least an hour ahead of time to let the temp settle, you might even do 1.5 hours ahead since this will be your first cook in a brand new smoker.
Coat your roast with oil, S & P and whatever other spices you want. Assuming a bone in 4 rib roast, your looking at about 4-5 hours.
I also fire up my oven to 500 and when the roast is at 130 (my preferred temp) I toss in the oven for 15 mins to get a nice sear on it. Don't forget to let it rest.

Good luck and enjoy

Hi Ted and welcome aboard.

I always fill my charcoal ring to the top.
I put 4 or 5 fist sized chunks of wood in with my charcoal, at the beginning.

Bob

I read in another post that a brand new smoker would run HOT. Is this not true?

Do you mean not being able to maintain 225 because too hot or too cold?
Usually first cooks the temp will tend run hot. Use water in the pan and you will do ok. Start the WSM plenty early so you can dial in the temp you want. It's just a cook of many to come.

Welcome aboard Ted! Good Advise from Bob and Ted M to follow! Don't worry too much if your temps vary. You will drive yourself crazy chasing temps as I did and I am sure a lot of new WSM owners did when they first started. Just get a good instant read thermo so you will know when your prime rib is at the temp you want.

Welcome aboard Ted! Good Advise from Bob and Ted M to follow! Don't worry too much if your temps vary. You will drive yourself crazy chasing temps as I did and I am sure a lot of new WSM owners did when they first started. Just get a good instant read thermo so you will know when your prime rib is at the temp you want.

The man is absolutely correct1

Back