Juicy smoked turkey recipe?

NeilH

TVWBB Emerald Member
So who has the best smoked turkey recipe? I have an 18.5 coming Tuesday and plan to try a turkey Saturday. Can't wait to try it.

There is a bunch of brine recipes and other links on the home page too. I used the basic brine recipe with some light Creole rub and it came out great on my kettle. I`m looking at doing a Apple brine one next as I bought a bunch of birds at thanksgiving and froze them. On my new WSM it should be even better.

Last edited:
Inject the breast with melted butter and it will come out super moist. Honestly if you just pay attention to the temperature of the cooker and the bird you should come out with a very moist bird. I bought a pre injected bird and rubbed it down before it went on both under and over the skin.

If you have a natural turkey, you might try Roast Salted Turkey. Adding salt to poultry acts as a shallow but concentrated brine: Over time, the salt migrates into the meat, just as it does with our brining technique. Once inside, the salt changes the structure of the muscle fibers so that the meat is able to hold more moisture, even in a hot oven. Not only that, it pulls moisture away from the surface of the bird, resulting in a crispier skin.

-- The Editors at America's Test Kitchen (2012-10-12). The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen (Cook's Illustrated Cookbooks) (Kindle Locations 6006-6009). Boston Common Press. Kindle Edition.

Inject the breast with melted butter and it will come out super moist. Honestly if you just pay attention to the temperature of the cooker and the bird you should come out with a very moist bird. I bought a pre injected bird and rubbed it down before it went on both under and over the skin.

I agree with Joe. A brine will work good and it is easy to find numerous recipes. I find that I get as good or better results with injecting and it is much simpler. I inject the white meat with half turkey (or chicken) broth and butter (50/50). This will keep the white meat moist. I generally don't worry about the dark meat drying out, but feel free to inject it as well. Apply your seasoning of choice. The real key is cooking on a smoker. It is far superior to cooking a bird in the oven. Use a light smoke between 325 F and 350 F. I think that you will find that the flavor and color of the bird will certainly impress all of your guests!!

Back