Turkey Cracklings. Has anyone done this?

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
From Diner's Journal

"If the skin of your turkey turns out flabby, which can happen when roasting at 325 degrees or less, the situation can be saved: make turkey cracklings while the bird rests. Peel off any parts of the skin that haven’t browned well, coarsely chop and put them in a heavy skillet over low heat. The skin will release liquid and then fat, then sizzle in the fat until brown and crisp as bacon. After carving, toss the crunchy brown cracklings over the meat, pass them in a bowl at the table, or stir them into Brussels sprouts.|"

Seems to be a cure for a common problem we encounter.

OMG! I wonder if I can buy a bunch of turkey skin at the grocery store...

OMG! I wonder if I can buy a bunch of turkey skin at the grocery store...

This might just be the greatest thing since sliced bread! :) We solve a long standing problem with Turkey skin and get to use our CI pans to boot. I can just imagine what some of our Photo Gallery chefs will come up with using Crackling:)

Each year we fry a turkey and barbecue a turkey. The fried turkey produces some of the best turkey skin you can imagine. No one else in the family realizes it but I chip off the turkey skin as the chef's treat while I'm carving.

Great idea Gary, I did some beer can chicken last weekend and we used the last of the chicken for soup which my sweetheart made and she used this method with the chicken skin and put it on top of the soup.

Great idea Gary, I did some beer can chicken last weekend and we used the last of the chicken for soup which my sweetheart made and she used this method with the chicken skin and put it on top of the soup.

I haven't tried it but just thought it would make sense for some members this time of the year.

Back