My Thanksgiving Turkey

I forgot to post this.

This year i tried my first Brined Turkey. I followed the Apple Brine recipe on the home page. Had it in the Brine for 24 hours and 12 hours air drying in the refrigerator. I used 2 chunks of apple wood on the smoker. It was a 14 lbs bird and it took 2 and half hours to cook at a temp of 350.

You guys always say that people will say it is the best turkey they ever had and will want you to make it all the time. I didn't really believe that, but that is exactly what was said. I was a bit shocked. My mom was a bit upset because she said it put her Oven turkey to shame.

Here it is: The skin wasn't very good. Very tough. But i got the color i was looking for.

Turkey.jpg

Congratulations Mike. Now you have created a job for yourself every Thanksgiving. I don't worry too much about the skin (It's not very good for you anyway). It's all about that moist turkey meat and it sounds like you got it.

Happy Holidays!

Hey Mike, glad you posted this. I'm doing my first brined turkey for company tomorrow. Apple brine, it's in the bucket right now. Just deciding whether to use my kettle or the WSM. What temps did you run your smoker?
Thanks

Back