Thermoworks TW8060 review

Rick Body

TVWBB Pro
At Dwayne P's request I am gonna review my Thermoworks Dual Probe 8060.

I bought it a month or so ago online and got a package deal direct from Thermoworks. It is the high temp version so it came with one "stainless armour probe" which is the normal rod meat probe, and a high temp "oven alligator clip". The clip has a braid where as the probe has a thick steel wrap.

The only other thermo I have ever owned was a Wal-mart version which had a wireless remote. I had it when I had my cheap smoker and I dont think I paid very much. It seemed to work well but I never checked calibration or anything else. I really was clueless to what I was doing, but none the less this is what I am comparing.

So far, I have liked the 8060. I can put the rod probe in the meat and put the alligator clip on a clothespin clipped to the grate and monitor both temps at the same time, so I never have to lift the lid to check meat or grate temp. The cables seem to be tough, especially the thick steel wrapped probe. When doing my mods, the alligator clip was too wide to go through the lamp rod that everyone uses so I had to use a 1/2 inch electrical fitting. It works just fine. In this pic you can see the grommet I had to use as well as the two cables

grommetmod.jpg

The only thing I am missing is a wireless remote to tell me my alarm is going off. I fell asleep today and when I woke up the temp on my 18.5 had risen and the alarm was yelling at me. I am thinking about getting a baby monitor so I can "listen" for the alarm wherever I am. I am not familiar with the mavericks but I guess you get a remote with them.

Since I just picked up another 18.5 on craigslist, I am going to order another 2 probes for it, then I can just interchange them when I am using both WSM's.

So thats about all I can add for now since I have only had it a month, but so far so good. Oh yeah, the thermoworks package I bought also came with a seperate oven thermo and a freezer thermo. Thermoworks seems to have good customer service and my order was shipped immediately and got here quickly.

I will add more if I can think of anything else

...oh thought of something else, the cables on both probes are very long and there is no problem reaching a table I use to set thermo on. I dont know if all probes are made that way but I am trying to put anything I can think of

Last edited:
Thanks for the review. I consider this is more of a professional grade instrument vs a commercial grade item. Is that correct?

Umm, not sure how to answer that because I dont think I understand the difference between commercial grade and professional grade, lol.

I read some reviews on "amazing ribs.com" (can I say that on here?) and after doing a little research this is the one I settled on. I knew I wanted a good one compared to the cheap one I had and this seemed to fit. Hopefully it will hold up...

Umm, not sure how to answer that because I dont think I understand the difference between commercial grade and professional grade, lol.

I read some reviews on "amazing ribs.com" (can I say that on here?) and after doing a little research this is the one I settled on. I knew I wanted a good one compared to the cheap one I had and this seemed to fit. Hopefully it will hold up...

OOOPS I meant consumer grade vs commercial grade. I am looking for a more robust unit and I am hoping this is it.

At Dwayne P's request I am gonna review my Thermoworks Dual Probe 8060.

I bought it a month or so ago online and got a package deal direct from Thermoworks. It is the high temp version so it came with one "stainless armour probe" which is the normal rod meat probe, and a high temp "oven alligator clip". The clip has a braid where as the probe has a thick steel wrap.

The only other thermo I have ever owned was a Wal-mart version which had a wireless remote. I had it when I had my cheap smoker and I dont think I paid very much. It seemed to work well but I never checked calibration or anything else. I really was clueless to what I was doing, but none the less this is what I am comparing.

So far, I have liked the 8060. I can put the rod probe in the meat and put the alligator clip on a clothespin clipped to the grate and monitor both temps at the same time, so I never have to lift the lid to check meat or grate temp. The cables seem to be tough, especially the thick steel wrapped probe. When doing my mods, the alligator clip was too wide to go through the lamp rod that everyone uses so I had to use a 1/2 inch electrical fitting. It works just fine. In this pic you can see the grommet I had to use as well as the two cables

grommetmod.jpg

The only thing I am missing is a wireless remote to tell me my alarm is going off. I fell asleep today and when I woke up the temp on my 18.5 had risen and the alarm was yelling at me. I am thinking about getting a baby monitor so I can "listen" for the alarm wherever I am. I am not familiar with the mavericks but I guess you get a remote with them.

Since I just picked up another 18.5 on craigslist, I am going to order another 2 probes for it, then I can just interchange them when I am using both WSM's.

So thats about all I can add for now since I have only had it a month, but so far so good. Oh yeah, the thermoworks package I bought also came with a seperate oven thermo and a freezer thermo. Thermoworks seems to have good customer service and my order was shipped immediately and got here quickly.

I will add more if I can think of anything else

...oh thought of something else, the cables on both probes are very long and there is no problem reaching a table I use to set thermo on. I dont know if all probes are made that way but I am trying to put anything I can think of

I've had my Thermoworks Dual Probe 8060 ( high heat probes) for over a year and so far so good, Still working.

Back