Smoked Turkey Soup?

Kayblack

I'm making broth from the smoked turkey from Thanksgiving and it smells amazing. I plan on making some soup. I'm wondering if there are any tried and true recipies floating around. This is my first time using smoked turkey to make soup, but I'm not new to making soup...TIA!

How I make my leftover turkey soup.

Carve your turkey but try and leave a decent amount of meat and save most of the bones. When it is soup day break up the carcass and put it in some water along with some celery( I use the yellow inside part of the stalk for this part), a roughly chopped onion and some carrots and let it come to a boil and simmer for an hour. After an hour remove the bones let it cool enough to handle and pick the meat off the bones and return the bones to the pot for at least another hour. Strain everything and get rid of it. Add fresh diced fresh celery, onion and carrots and other veggies you like in your soup and more water if needed and season your soup, I like to use chicken bouillon instead of salt, a dash of sage, a dash of cumin and black pepper. When the veggies are cooked, Add the turkey off of the bones and any more turkey if you wish and add noodles into the pot. When the noodle are done so is the soup

Very similar to my recipe........I think the kids look forward the the next day soup more than the turkey itself. Throwing out a turkey carcas is a waste of one if not a few good home cooked meals ;)

Finished mine last night. I have enough stock left to make tortilla soup. Yum!

I do pretty much like John to make the broth except I use a pressure cooker. Once up to temp it takes only 30 minutes. I will then let broth cool, put in fridge overnight and then spoon off the fat next day.

The broth we are not going to eat that day is put into 8 oz plastic cups and frozen overnight. The next day I run a little warm water on bottom of cups, push out the block of frozen broth and place them in a zip lock freezer bag. I now have nice 8oz sizes for cooking (also do this with chicken) or a quick bowl of soup for lunch that will defrost pretty quick in microwave. Left over pasta, burnt ends, turkey or chicken stock, chopped green onions and Sriracha sauce on top makes a pretty good bowl of soup.

Actually, during the winter I use the broth quite a bit. There are always leftovers and items hanging around the fridge that allows you to be creative and if it does not work as you thought just use more Sriracha sauce. :))

I also do pretty much the same, except that I raost the carcass first. I put the carcass in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes and get a wonderful added flavor. Remove from the oven and then do everything listed above. Yummy.

Ray

Last edited:

Back