Pontchartrain Chicken

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

This is a riff on the Bourbon Street Chicken that Golden Corral serves. It is basically a bourbon teriyaki. I altered it for the grill and renamed it after a large lake near our home town. I made it recently for a family party served after an appetizer of Smoked Stuffed Mushrooms. The extended family really enjoyed it. I hope you do too...

Ingredients:
2 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken (thighs or breasts or both)
1 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 cup Bourbon
2 tbs Fresh Ginger (grated)
2 tbs Garlic (minced)
2 tbs Onion Flake
1 tsp Corn Starch

Instructions:
Preparation:
Mix all the ingredients (except the chicken) in a sauce pan and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool. Reserve half of the mixture and marinate the chicken in the other half for at least four hours (I usually marinate overnight). Heat the reserved mixture on the stove over high heat. Mix the corn starch with about 3 tb s of water and add to the boiling sauce to thicken. Return to a boil and reduce heat until thick.
Grill:

Prepare the grill for indirect cooking. Reduce heat to medium (I choke the fire in my Weber OTG down for 8 - 10 min and then open the bottom vents to about 1/3 and the top vents to about 1/2). Cook the chicken uncovered over direct coals rotating and flipping until seared on both sides and a nice diamond grill pattern is achieved. Be careful not to burn the bird - keep it moving or the sugar in the marinade will burn. Move the bird to the indirect side and begin saucing with the thickened sauce. Cook covered rotating and basting frequently until the birds is thoroughly cooked (about 20 minutes).

Notes:

This works well with bone in chicken pieces as well. Just double the marinade recipe and cook longer. You can spice it up with some crushed red pepper flakes...

JOhn, shouldn't that be 2 cups of bourbon. One that just happens to disappear (evaporate) while preparing . ;-)

Back