20 lb. bird done in 2.5 hours?

Robert D

TVWBB Member
smoking a 20 lb butterball between 325-350 degrees. Breast temp is registering 165 at 2.5 hours.
A little concerned it is done too early. I am using my brand new Maverick ET732 for temps.

Any thoughts?

I'd check both meat and smoker probes using boiling water. they should both read close to 212°. If not, adjust the temperatures read accordingly.

Second, make sure the probe is properly located in the breast. If it is too close to the surface or a bone it will not read actual meat temperature. I find it useful to have an instant read meat thermometer handy to probe other portions of the food.

I usually get it up to 165, then check a few spots with a thermapen and it seems like it always needs another 5 degrees. It's hard to really nail that perfect spot every time in one try.

At those temps my 12 pound salted birds are done in anywhere from 2-3 hours. It seems to vary quite a bit each time.

I was having the same issue today when my 18 lb bird was hitting temps after only 2 hours. I used my thermapen and the temps were more reasonable. Pulled at 3 hours and nailed it!

Mavericks are good for pit temps IMHO but you really need an instant read for internal meat temps. And the ruggedness and reliability of the Thermapen is worth the extra cost. I won't mess around with meat temps but I'm ok at having a little lee way on my pit temps.

Back