Question re: probe placement in thigh.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I have my ET-732 probe in my 18 lb bird and I hit bone, so I pulled it back a bit and went with it. Now I'm not certain that I have the probe in the right location for good temp readings.

The bird went on 1 hour ago and in that short time the temp rose from 55* to 122* currently (thigh), which seems awfully fast to me. I'm looking to hit 165 before I pull the bird.

Thoughts? Should I move the probe? It's a real PITA to move the probe with the unit because I have no place to put the lid and both wires to the ET-732 tend to fall out.

I'm frustrated.

What's your WSM temp? Remember, a 12-14 lb bird can cook in under three hours at 325-350. Don't know how much time to add for an 18 lb'er. YMMV, but 165 in the thigh is lower than I would do. I'm looking for 165 in the breast, 180 in the thigh.

I monitor the cook in the breast and then when done according to breast, I probe several palces with the thermapen (inside thigh, outside thigh, drum, breast several places, etc). If one side of the cooker gets one half of the bird done prior to the other side I turn it 180* and give it a few minutes to catch up.

thight temp should be 180 breast should be 165

Ahh....I was looking for the thigh to be 165. Good thing I checked in here. My thermapen shows anywhere from 148 to 158 in the thigh and I moved my ET-732 and it dropped from 171 a few minutes ago to a current 160. The skin is looking NICE and dark but I don't want it to burn.

Bird has been on for 2 hours as I type. Can I cover the bird to slow the browning process a bit? Will foil slow it down?

Yes. If you want slow the browning and keep the breast at temp while allowing the legs and thighs to travel towards a higher (more palatable temp IMO) foil is a good idea.
Left uncovered: It most likely will NOT burn but the color will definitely continue to darken. Doesn't bother me but some people....

Marc, another quick question please? This is my first turkey on my 22.5.

The bird is 18 lbs, it was a fresh non-injected organic bird from Whole Foods. I used the apple brine on this website 24 hours submerged, and then air dried for about 15 hours.

It appears to be nearly cooked. Thigh is 180+ and breast reads around 161. 2 1/2 hours. Is that possible to cook a bird that large in 2.5 hours?

My temps ranged from 262 to 405 (briefly) but settled in around 320 for the past 1 hour.

Seems like too fast to cook a bird that size.

Jeff,

It is possible. I am doing the same thing and mine is 18.5 and well is almost done of course everything else is not going to be done for another hour:) I should have know better after my test run a few weeks ago but am just planning on pitching the Reynolds wrap tent in the kitchen and in goes the turkey. Good luck and have a great dinner!

Jeff,

It is possible. I am doing the same thing and mine is 18.5 and well is almost done of course everything else is not going to be done for another hour:) I should have know better after my test run a few weeks ago but am just planning on pitching the Reynolds wrap tent in the kitchen and in goes the turkey. Good luck and have a great dinner!

My 18 lb bird was done in 3 hours. I pulled it and held it VERY loosely tented for 1 hour and it rocked. Very good. Pics to come. :wsm:

Hey Jeff,
Just saw your question, sorry, but it sounds like all was good! Looking forward to the photos!

Back