Operation Smokeout - Thanksgiving Fun

M Morrill

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone! I have been following the VWBB forums for several weeks now and thought I better start contributing. This post is really just to make sure that I can upload pictures from the upcoming "Operation Smokeout" tomorrow. I have lots of things planned for the offensive and will be updating this post tonight and tomorrow. Here is a quick picture of the cast of characters.

I will update with the menu and pictures of the prep. I actually washed my smoker and grill today (just the outsides) so they looked somewhat presentable.:D

Stay tuned, more to come...

IMG_7008.jpg

Last edited:
You are locked and loaded! Great starting post...you can just feel the enthusiasm.

Looking forward to your pics.

Update - Here is the cooking menu for the morning. Salt brined 14lb turkey, ABT's, Bacon double cheeseburger fatty, Pig candy, Vegan coconut bacon (daughter is vegan), vegan turkey pot pie plus breakfast. Operation Smokeout pre work has already begun. Got the ABT's ready and made the BDCB Fatty. See the pictures below.

IMG_7019.jpg

Here are the jalapeno's prior to wrapping.

IMG_7020.jpg

Here they are stuffed with cream cheese and wearing their new new jackets.

IMG_7022.jpg

The Bacon Double Cheeseburger Fatty. This picture is just before I topped it with jalapeno hamburger mix and more tots and wrapped it up.

IMG_7023.jpg

The finished (uncooked) product.

Update - 6:10 pm. Ok I am done for the most part. I might prep the veggies for the vegan pot pies but I think that I am done. I forgot to add that I was making vegetarian baked beans as well.

IMG_7027.jpg

This is one of the few vegan things that I think is as good as traditional (with meat) fare.

I got hungry and this is what I came up with. No hate mail because I didn't make it on the grill either...

IMG_7030.jpg

This is just Digiorno with added jalapeno's. I did have an extra piece of bacon from the prep that I cooked and chopped to add to part of the pizza. For frozen fast food, you can't beat the 3 for $10 from Costco.

I can't wait for tomorrow!

Mike

Operation Smokeout Update - Started the day at 4:55 with a nice cup of coffee and got out the bird for prepping. Peeled and diced potatoes, peppers and onions for breakfast and waited for the sun to come out. Lit the charcoal at 6:05. A quick note about charcoal lighting. Typically I use newspaper to start my chimney but that creates a lot of smoke which I didn't think would be good for the neighbors. I used the Weber starting cubes (1) and there was hardly any smoke at all. No fire department shoed up anyway...

Here are some pictures of the start.

IMG_7039.jpg

Here is the 6:00 kick off

IMG_7042.jpg

Turkey going on the smoker. Fatty hiding underneath. Foil is to keep turkey drippings off the fatty. Should land in bowl if it works right.

IMG_7047.jpg

Breakfast is almost done...

Time to go start the prep for the rest of the food. Lighting the grill in 10 minutes.

Operation Smokeout Update - 9:30am - The turkey is going perfectly. I am at 330 degrees at the 2.5 hour mark. Have my bottom vents at about 1/2 open. No wind and about 65 degrees outside. Just lit the grill to do the vegan bacon, pig candy, beans, abt's... Just put the vegan bacon on. Here are some more pic's

IMG_7051.jpg

These are the vegan turkey pot pies.

IMG_7052.jpg

My daughter pitched in to help. Mixing the bacon coating.

IMG_7055.jpg

Vegan bacon hits the fire.

IMG_7054.jpg

Man my garage sale smoker holds temps well! Gonna be done in another hour.

OS Update 10:00 am - OK everything is going great. Had to pull my turkey a bit earlier than expected as the thighs had come up to 170. The bird and the Bacon Double Cheesburger Fatty (BDCF) are now resting comfortably on the kitchen counter. Pig candy is on the grill and since the WSM was still hot, I put the ABT's and the beans on it. Pulled the vegan bacon. Interesting. I suppose it is ok if you are vegan but mostly it is just kinda crunchy. Here are some pictures.

IMG_7056.jpg

170 degrees at the thigh. Time to come off.

IMG_7058.jpg

Resting on the cutting board

IMG_7057.jpg

BDCF looking good!

GoTta go check on my bacon. More pictures and updates to follow. Getting really busy now.

I think this is going to be my last post for a while. I have to pack up all the food (except the turkey which is for later) and head to the in-laws for Thanksgiving. Here are the last few shots from Operation Smokeout. There was only one casualty today. My digital thermometer died:-(. Time to go get a better one!

IMG_6501.jpg

ABT's

IMG_6502.jpg

Vegan beans. These came out great.

IMG_6503.jpg

Pig candy looks bad but tastes awesome. You should try this!

Enjoy your Thanksgiving everyone.

Mike

Wow.....You win!! I love the Tots...I just did 3 fatties and didn't think of tots....I even have some left over from Halloween ! (I was Napoleon Dynamite - Vote For Pedro!)

Back