Tennessee > Memphis: Cozy Corner BBQ

Matt B.

TVWBB Super Fan
This is a soul food BBQ restaurant. And a good one. They have some weird stuff on the menu. BBQ spaghetti, wings, cornish hens, and bologna. Their coleslaw is amazing.

They are not, however, a hamburger joint.

My wife and I went there today for lunch. We made a mistake and ordered the lunch special which was a bag of chips, a drink, and a hamburger for a good price. This is a barbecue place - not a hamburger joint. That's all I have to say about that.

After finishing my burger, I wanted to try what I had intended to try. BBQ. So, I ordered a sandwich. The sandwich was served on a sub-style bun and was made with sliced shoulder and some very good coleslaw. The sauce was understated and filled in only where it needed to. This was the first place, where, in my wife's words, 'the pork didn't taste braised.' There was flavor throughout, and the texture was great.

I did not try their ribs, but wish I would have. These are people who understand BBQ. We ate at a table next to the owner, Mrs. Robinson, and were served by her son. They take care of their customers very well. If I come back to this town again, I'll be sure to stop in here for a sandwich. The aquarium smoker is something to see.

Good call on the Aquarium Smoker. They have very tender spare ribs. They might be the best spare ribs I have ever had at a bbq joint. I really love this place. Cozy Corner is the first place that comes to mind when I think of Memphis BBQ. Even if it doesn't blow you away... It is a great place to get some killer lunch. Kind of a time warp.

I've been trying to drag the wife here for more than a year, but we keep going to Central. I'm just gonna have to go by myself, methinks.

Back