What are u doing to get ready for turkey day?

Morgan C.

TVWBB Diamond Member
If your like me you love thanksgiving!! Great holiday...cooking, drinking, family, drinking, friends..more drinking and of course eating!!!

Started Monday nite making a bunch of chicken stock for all the fixings...Started Chris's apple brine so it was nice and cool tonight! Turkey 1 went into a quick thaw mode so it would take the brine well and brings us to today... First off after looking at last years cooking log I decided to do a quick mod to the WSM for higher heat(yep upside down door) last year as I remember it, my temp was not up to par so I flipped the door and propped with a pair of tongs..went in to fill my glass and came back out...wow the door fell off and the temp was well over 400...not this year!
C2DD8F69-694A-4375-9870-74257785013B-11422-00000A796A9AF676.jpg

Put the rest of the apple brine together!
9A58F531-0547-48FD-B63A-9B6C06270592-11422-00000A796E188654.jpg

And washed off the baby 10 pounder and into a few 3 gallon zip locks and into the boat drink cooler!
584FC787-7E29-415E-963C-46EDBF65D5A6-11422-00000A79713897B5.jpg

One word of caution...don't drink too much of your own brine till this task is complete or you may be in for a mess! My brine was a simple bourbon and water!

Just curious how many other folks are getting ready!!! Keeping it simple this year with one 10 pound turkey in the smoker and another in the oven just normal!

Thanks for looking!!

I volunteered to smoke a friends turkey along with mine. So tonight I made the Apple Brine for two 14# turkeys, placed them both in separate large cooking bags, and placed in a cooler with ice on top. Tomorrow about this time it will be air dry time.

I've never tried a Bourbon brine, I'll have to put that on my list.

I also keep meaning to do that door mod like what you have, but I should be okay with "Standard Method" of coal management since this should only be a three to four hour cook.

Chad the turkey is in the apple brine and the bourbon brine is for me (although I did do the JD brine last year which was pretty tasty)...good luck on your birds!

Not a big fan of turkey, I'll eat it but I really enjoy ham or beef. I like to smoke the wings, probably my favorite on the bird. I've been working on my new WSM. I've been reading and making mods I think will make it even easier than you all make it sound. I tried to keep it simple and not get too out of hand. I'm going to take some pics and post of my mods. That's what I've been doing to get ready. Happy Thanksgiving.

Got my bird brining Tuesday morning in Jack and Maple Syrup. Did our final shopping last night, working today and out of town family arrives tonight! I'll get up early on Thursday, start a pot of coffee, get my stock going, once people have eaten I'll whip-up a pitcher of Bloody Mary's and let T-Day begin!

Gene...no smoked cake...had lots of good kitchen ideas thought!

Jim...bloody Mary's sound great!! What time you serving those up?

9E313FEE-C783-4F54-B967-D5F4542F55B3-12224-00000B5DB8970594.jpg

Think I over did the stuffin again this year...oh well I love left over stuffing!

Back