Big Bird (23lbs) and brine and skin question

Mike Schmidt

Well the bird we got is much bigger than I was expecting, came in at 23 lbs. I am doing the apple brine in a few minutes and as I was getting ready I wondered:

Will this big of a bird require more time in the brine than 24 hours?

Being it will take longer on the smoker, what will this do to the skin? Will it darken to much? Should I cover the bird with foil after 3 hours or so on the smoker?

I figure 3.5 - 4 hours on a bird this size and I have a 1 hour window if it takes 4, so time is not too much of a concern. Any thoughts from those that have brined and smoked a bird this big would be great.

I'm doing a 22lb turkey this year as well. I'm doing a 48 hour brine. I'll take the turkey out Wednesday morning and dry it off, then put it in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours for the skin to dry. Before I cook it, I'll ice the breast for 30-45 minutes. I'll be smoking it at 325* for about five hours. I plan to keep an eye on it and when the skin gets to the color I want, I'll foil it so it doesn't get too dark.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I have a 23 lb bird myself. I plan on putting it in the brine tomorrow AM. I'll removes it from the brine Thurs AM while I am getting the fire in the WSM started and up to temp (about an hour). I plan to run @ 325* for 5 - 6 hours (remove at temp in inner thigh not time). Like Bill, I'll cover it when I get the color I want. I'll peak at about 3 hours and see how it looks.

Similar to Bill I've brined large birds 48 hours. This years bird is 16.5 lbs and I'm brining 36 hours. Regarding the skin, I usually check at the 1.5 hour mark to see where the color is. If she's getting too dark I cover her with foil.

last years 22 lb bird I wrapped in cheesecloth and soaked the cloth in butter.. did a good job keeping the 'char' off the skin, but didn't have a crispy skin.
this year's 22 lb bird I am brining, air drying overnight, trussing , barding with bacon and wrapping with cheesecloth soaked in water, with the intention of removing the cheesecloth for the last 45 minutes or so.

Bill, definitely, next time you're in Vegas let me know, we can meet for a drink or even better fire-up a grill! My email address is in my profile.

Back