Brining with a Zip Lock Bag and Cooler

Jeff B

TVWBB Member
I though this might be useful - last year I brined a 17lb bird in a zip lock bag for 2 days. I set the bag in my marine grade cooler propped up with bags of ice on either side for 2 nights. There was plenty of ice left when I took it out. This is a really good cooler that keeps ice for a few days in the summer so this was an easy task. I tied the top of the bag because it gave it better shape to cover the bird. I looked for a large food grade bucket but they were pretty expensive compared to using one of the big zip-lock bags and a cooler I already have. The cooler wasnt cheap but I already had it and I use it all summer so it has a few purposes. Plus I couldn't fit a bucket in my fridge. We like to keep garbage in our fridge for a few weeks before we throw it out - my wife calls it leftovers that we never got to. I don't remember the size Zip Lick I used - I think it was XL. Them make them pretty big ant they are only a few bucks. Let's see if this picture makes it across...

https://plus.google.com/photos/111546059670852265419/albums/5812964514574558849

Great idea. I think I'll see if one of my coolers fits in the garage fridge. If not, your route with the ice should work if I can find large zip locks.

Jeff - I thought it would be difficult to find these bags but I was amazed that they were right there in my regular supermarket sitting on a shelf with the rest of the plastic bags. I bought 2 sizes. One of the sizes I bought was 10 gallons - way way too big. I think I used the 4 gallon size.

Back