When to carve turkey?

PaulFisher

TVWBB Super Fan
So here's the deal. I'm smoking a 13 pound turkey for the family then we are driving to the lake to spend Thanksgiving where the turkey will be eaten. There will probably be about a period of 2-3 hours in between when the turkey is finished smoking and the actual dinner is eaten. Should I let it rest and carve at home or should I just carve the bird at the lake before we are ready to eat?

Thanks!

I did this last year. I didn't have as long of drive but i think it was an hour of a wait. So i let it rest at home then carved it and plated it then took it to my destination.

I transported 2 briskets to a party once. I put them in a cooler and wrapped a few towels around them (and tin foil!). By the time they were ready to take out of the cooler about 2 hours had passed and both were still too hot to hold. I would guess this would work with a turkey as well but brisket does like to rest after cooking.

I transported 2 briskets to a party once. I put them in a cooler and wrapped a few towels around them (and tin foil!). By the time they were ready to take out of the cooler about 2 hours had passed and both were still too hot to hold. I would guess this would work with a turkey as well but brisket does like to rest after cooking.

I agree with Jeff - keep them whole and wrapped in a cooler and carve them once you get there. I think they will still be warm as well.

Back