Brine recipe adjustments for 4% enhanced bird?

Jeremy Laux

TVWBB Member
I have come to the realization i will not be able to find a "natural" bird. The stores around me just don't carry them.

Does anybody have a good brine recipe for 4% enhanced birds? I have read people who brine a 4% ehanced (solution of water, salt and spices) bird simply cut back on the salt or use table versus kosher or cut down on the brining time. I also heard reducing the salt will make the brining process useless.

I'm sure there is a discussion thread on this already...but couldn't locate.

thoughts?

I messed up and got an enhanced bird. I'm planning on just using the regular apple brine recipe unless there is some good advice as to what ingredients to omit. I already bought all of the brine ingredients so I just figured I'd go for it to see how it turns out. I think my bird is 8%

Okay, hopefully we get some more feedback here. And I guess I'm surprised there aren't more threads on the topic of recipes for pre-basted birds. Probably buried in the many threads on the overall topic. oh well.

BTW, LarryR....love the signature line. Baba Booey to you...

Thanks for starting this thread, Jeremy. I am in the exact same boat with you (4% enhanced bird), and I'm betting on a normal brine and time. We'll see how it turns out. I'll also be doing an un-enhanced turkey on Friday, so I'll be keen to see how the flavors are similar/different.

Good luck with yours!

Jeremy, a TaTa Toofy to you! There are a few threads out there regarding juiced-up birds. I've authored at least one. Might take some search-fu though to find.

I've brined enhanced birds without any ill affects. You gotta play the hand that's dealt is how I looked at it.

Back