Brine turkey in airtight bag?

Jeff (TN)

I'm going to brine a couple of turkey breasts and lots of legs tomorrow and trying to figure out the best way to do this. I luckily have a second fridge in the garage but wanted advice as to what to brine them in. I am assuming it needs to be airtight.

Jeff it doesn't have to be air tight as long as your turkey is fully submerged! I do my turkeys in 3 gal zip locks and in a cooler full of ice and it gets the job done!

Hope that helps!

Like Morgan said, no need for air tight. But minimizing air in the bag will help keep the turkey submerged.

Jeff - I saw this thread after I posted mine. I sealed the top of the bag with the zip-lock but then I twisted it to take up the slack in the bag to keep the bird covered and also to help the whole thing sit right.

One thing I wish I'd done is only heat enough water to dissolve the sugar, salt and other spices and then mix in cold water instead of heating the entire two gallons I did. :) Live and learn.

Been there, done that. I recall waiting a few hours to be able to get the turkey into the brine because it wasn't cold enough. Wasn't fun, considering I started making the brine around 9pm that year.

Heat up your brine to help disolve the spices (especially the sugar and salt) once they are all disolved , throw in lots of ice to get the temp back down. Of course you have to use more spices that you normally would as the ice will help dillute it a bit.

Back