Smokey Joe Gold/Platinum design: What if ...

Paul A.B.

TVWBB Member
Since I bought my Smokey Joe Gold to complement my 18.5" kettle, I have wondered - sincerely wondered - whether Weber didn't make a mistake in not designing the Gold and Platinum versions of its portable kettle with a scaled-down, removable ash can like the bigger kettles - and charging a few bucks more for the added expense.

I only had a chance to use my SJG once before a long and nasty winter hit and so I have yet to try the coal banking method described in a previous post to see if a workable "draw" can be created with the lid on + all vents open. We shall see.

In the meantime, though, I think that the SJG would have been better designed with a bottom ash can. The cheap, Chinese-made "Char Broil" 14" grills do have a bottom ash can - isn't it embarrassing for a cheap grill to have better airflow than a Weber?

you bought a grill designed for a specific use. you can modify it or just get a silver. marketing is a big thing and what you propose would cost to much for most folks. that cheaper stuff usually doesn't last.

You could do this SJP Ash Catcher Mod

I did this and then, to make ash removal easier, I just sit a pie pan inside of the "Ash Catcher" and dump it once the coals are cool.

Frankly, using good lump, there is very little ash in the pan at the end of the cook.

Cheap Chinese made Char Broils, Kingsfords and other brands - junk - throw away grills that will serve a purpose semi-well for a while (I've got one of them at the lake for extra capacity when we need more room than my 22 inch kettle - I picked up another 22 inch OTS this winter and the Charbroil will be a planter this summer).

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul A.B.:
Since I bought my Smokey Joe Gold to complement my 18.5" kettle, I have wondered - sincerely wondered - whether Weber didn't make a mistake in not designing the Gold and Platinum versions of its portable kettle with a scaled-down, removable ash can like the bigger kettles - and charging a few bucks more for the added expense.

I only had a chance to use my SJG once before a long and nasty winter hit and so I have yet to try the coal banking method described in a previous post to see if a workable "draw" can be created with the lid on + all vents open. We shall see.

In the meantime, though, I think that the SJG would have been better designed with a bottom ash can. The cheap, Chinese-made "Char Broil" 14" grills do have a bottom ash can - isn't it embarrassing for a cheap grill to have better airflow than a Weber? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The SJG/SJP were, I believe, designed for portability with respect to the vent placement. I think the concept was geared towards being able to tailgate, then close the vents, seal the lid, and load it in the back of an SUV or trunk of a car without having to worry about ash spillage.

I'm one of those that has an appreciation for that. I've had a travel job for the last decade and in that time I managed to get absolutely burned out on about any decent restaurant you can think of. I eventually put together a chuckwagon, if you will, that I carry in the trunk of the company car. My basics are a Coleman stove, a SJG,a Coleman oven, a dutch oven, a couple of cast iron skillets, spices and basic kitchen utensils. A quick trip to the grocery store when I get where I'm going and I'm good to go. Have even been known to set up in a hotel parking lot and voila, I'm in. The SJG can tip over in the trunk during transport and I don;t have a mess to clean up. That's the trade off for the less than ideal airflow.

It sounds like you primarily use your SJ around the house. I'd seriously look at applying the mod that Pat Smith suggested or even add a SJS.

Back