Skin on or off?

Jeff (TN)

I'm going to smoke a couple of bone-in turkey breasts and some turkey legs and wanted to know if anyone removes the skin. I did a turkey breast "test run" last weekend and found the skin ended up rubbery and not much rub flavor. I've read about working the rub under the skin first but wondered why not remove the skin on both the breast and legs since I'll probably be cooking around 225-250.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jeff Crank the heat up!! The skin will get nice and crispy. Turkeys and Chickens do not have a lot of fat to render. They are lean animals. So low and slow does nothing except take longer to cook. Put a hole chimmy of lit coals ontop of a hole lot of unlit coals that will fit the ring together with the lite coals. Make sure the controlls are wide open and if you have to turn the door upside down and shim it open so more air can get in. Also no water in pan. Temp 300-350. Cook to turkery to 178 inturnal temp. Hope this helps. And have a great thanksgiving!!!

Same for turkey legs? I keep reading on site that 250 is recommended for them and brushing on olive oil is what crisps up their skin.

I've got the big bullet so would prefer cooking both the breasts and legs at once.

All the turkeys I have done in my smoker, had the legs on. Never have done separate legs. The attached legs skin was always done

Back