JD Maple vs. Apple Brine

Brandon Hart

I did a test run this week with a basic brine that turned out very well. However, for Thanksgiving next week, I'm interested in trying something with a little more flavor and I'm between Larry's JD Maple and the Apple Brine on this site. I assume the JD Maple has a hint of sweetness to it - is it overpowering? I'd like to avoid something that is too sweet. I could always cut back on the serving size of the maple syrup.

Any recommendations would be very helpful. Thanks!

Both have been huge hits when I've done them. So now I do both. :D I'm doing a full bird with the apple brine and a breast with the JD brine. The JD maple does come out a tad sweet, but not too much so. My recommendation is you do two birds - one with each. :D

Thanks Jim. With the apple brine, is there a dominant apple flavor? My family is more in favor of a straight forward, traditional turkey. But I feel like they would enjoy this recipe, assuming there isn't an overwhelming apple flavor.

I'm of course biased towards the JD bird, in-fact I've got one brining as I type. That said, I've done the Apple Honey brine too and it's quite tasty. Don't recall there begin a strong apple flavor. I'm w/Jim, do two, I've done them both and served them side by side.

Brandon,

The apple flavour is there only if you're looking for it. You wouldn't notice it if you didn't already know it was there. There's also ginger, garlic, and orange in that brine.

I have only had the JD brine and it was not to sweet to me. I even added more JD and syrup than what the recipe called for. Over all a great taste! I also smoked my bird with an apple in the cavity.

I'm of course biased towards the JD bird, in-fact I've got one brining as I type. That said, I've done the Apple Honey brine too and it's quite tasty. Don't recall there begin a strong apple flavor. I'm w/Jim, do two, I've done them both and served them side by side.

Larry,

Your bird's already in the brine? Isn't it a tad early?

Bill

Back