Smoking two turkeys at once, using 18.5" WSM

Robert Davidson

Any feedback on smoking two 14# birds at once in the small WSM. I know the posted directions discuss one 14# bird on the top grate. I would prefer to smoke two at once, one on each grate. Im sure the drippings from the top grate would cover the lower bird. Curious about time difference to allow? Or, how big of a turkey will the 18.5" WSM handle?

Hi Chris,
Thanks for the info, extremely helpful. I haven't been smoking lately, and therefore not on the site that much. I'm impressed by how much information is available, I've had success from the start on the WSM because of the virtualbullet site. Thanks for the welcome as well.
Bob D.

Thanks, Robert! I've been at it for almost 15 years now, so a lot of info has been collected in that time.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this info. I've been looking for some answers and this helped. I bought my 22.5" smoker last month and so far everything I've smoked has been excellent. The family convinced me (with little resistance) to smoke the turkey this year. I have 2 turkeys on order from the butcher and I'll get them next Tuesday. The only thing I don't know yet is the weight of the turkeys. They are suppose to be 16-18 lbs but I'll get the exact weight when I get there. Here is what I plan on doing...

The Master Plan:
Apple brine - 24 hrs
Air-dry in fridge - 12 hrs
Rub - maybe
Wood - 80% Apple/ 20% Hickory mix
Smoke time @ 325-350 deg
(2) 16 lbs turkeys 3 - 3.25 hrs
(2) 18 lbs turkeys 3.75 - 4 hrs
Rest time - ~20 mins (don't know about the 90-120 rest time as noted on the apple brine recipe)

Hopefully we'll have some great birds for Thursday. I've been deep frying turkeys for 10+ years so this will be new territory for me. If you or anybody has any tips or more info please let me know...I don't want to ruin Thanksgiving.

Back