New guy from NoVA

Chad Bman

TVWBB All-Star
Hello fellow carnivores... :cool: Not new to Weber, but new to WSM. Well, will be shortly...
Local NowAppliance.com has the 18 for $250 & 22 for $319 (not listed on website)
Trying to make a decision which way I wanna go is what lead my research to this forum.
TONS of good info here, so I plan on sticking around for a while. Once I make a decision on size... :confused:

Welcome, Chad, I'm from Falls Church!

I got my WSM this spring. One thing that helped me make my decision was that the recipes posted on this site are all based on the 18" WSM, which makes this website an even more useful resource. Plus it uses less fuel, and holds quite a lot of food-- I cook 8 racks of ribs at a time, or two butts, or quite large brisket, or multiple chickens. I might even smoke two turkeys this week.

Thanks Mike. Leesburg here.

Thanks Dwain. I've read countless threads & hundreds of posts on the size topic, but THAT one escaped me. (and pictures are worth a thousand words)

Welcome Chad. You will enjoy this site.
I am from Lynchburg and was married in Vienna. No Va is beautiful country.
Ray

Decision has been made. Portability, overall size, fuel consumption, and cost difference (both on sale) weren't decision making factors.
While the 18.5 would have been more than enough grill for 95% of my use, it's the 5% I worry about. It's only a one-time-fee of $70 to cover that 5%
The 22.5 has been reserved/ordered for $319 and will be available for Pick-up Saturday. I see a lot of :wsm: in my future. :D

The WSM has been assembled and the mods have began. This forum is a wealth of information.
Thanks all...

Decision has been made. Portability, overall size, fuel consumption, and cost difference (both on sale) weren't decision making factors.
While the 18.5 would have been more than enough grill for 95% of my use, it's the 5% I worry about. It's only a one-time-fee of $70 to cover that 5%
The 22.5 has been reserved/ordered for $319 and will be available for Pick-up Saturday. I see a lot of :wsm: in my future. :D

I think you made a wise choice. I had never seen an 18" until a Lowes trip Sat. Not to insult the guys who love their 18" but I thought it looked dinky. After seeing it I definitely know I made the right choice. :wsm:

I think I made a wise choice also... lol

A test pic before I start a thread in the Mod section.
WeberSmokeyMountain031.jpg

Last edited:
I recommend a book for you: Low and Slow by Gary Wiviott. I downloaded a Kindle app and downloaded the book it and read it, then did what he said. It works. I learned a lot about my cooker from it.

Got it for my ipad. I've only read the first step, but plan on being a good student and following his book to a T while doing his recipes.
I wanted to get my mods done before I started gettin' it all coated & seasoned. :)

Thanks...

Back