First Smoked Turkey - 3 questions

Brandon Hart

Hi, I am smoking my first turkey next week for Thanksgiving on my 18.5" WSM and have 3 quick questions:

1. Low and Slow or High and Fast? I have seen some recipes that call for low smoking around 250 degrees for 6 hrs or so, and others that call for high smoking around 350 degrees for 3-4 hrs (assuming a 12 lb bird). Which is recommended?

2. For Thanksgiving day, I will need at least a 16 lb bird, but all recipes recommend a maximum of 12-14 lbs on the smoker. What is the major disadvantage to smoking a 16 to 18 lb bird? Possible dryness?

3. I am trying a buttermilk brine for my 12 lb test run. Has anyone tried this? Any reviews?

Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated.

1) I say high and fast. Getting the WSM at ~350 makes for easy math. And I like easy math. If the recipe says roast in the oven at 350 for 4 hours, I know I can "smoke-roast" in the WSM for the same amount of time. Plus, it's hard not to have rubbery skin if you go low and slow.

2) I've cooked birds pushing 20 lbs in my WSM. The disadvantage I see to a larger bird is just the longer cook time.

3) Not familiar with that brine - do you have a link? For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of the apple brine in the cooking topics area of this site.

Welcome to TVWB!

I'm not sure how large of a turkey you can physically wedge into a 18" and still get good airflow.

For the temps.. how do you like chicken? I'll sometimes do chicken hot and fast on the kettle (great skin) or low and slow on the smoker (Usually the meat's a little nicer). So I'm OK either way. You might prefer one over the other. I've been doing turkeys in the 300s and they're good, but I'm not as into turkey skin (never seems to crisp up as nicely as chicken anyway) so if I had the time I think doing one low and slow would be interesting.

1: High and fast!!! I done both and the High and fast give you a great skin. Not rubbery like you would if you do Low and slow. Also turkey are lean there is no reason to do low and slow. There is no fat to render. Get the WSM hot. No water in pan. Wrape it in tin foil and let the juice fall on the tin foil to make a great gravy. Also I use a thermometer when she reaches 178 she done. No guess work.
2: I have done a 18lb no problem
3:Never done that brine Had great success with the JD / Apple / Maple. This year I am trying the JD with a twist.
Good Luck my friend. Happy smoking!

Back