Are you going to Scarborough Fair? Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme

Rhett Barker

I just did my first bird on the smoker this week. Nothing fancy just wanted to try one. No bringing just some apple, lemon, onions, celery, carrots and some fresh herds in the cavity and rubbed it down in butter. The bird actually turned out really well, great color and nice smokey flavor (apple wood). I am doing another bird this weekend and was thinking of using this rub that was mentioned on this forum http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/simon_and_garfunkel_rub.html I was just wondering how long should I put the rub on the bird before it goes in the smoker? I know many people swear by bringing though. Any thoughts on this rub or should I just brine this bird? Looking for deep "Thanksgiving-ie" flavor.

Thanks

Rhett, I use this rub quite often. I made up a large batch and keep it on hand for poultry. Make sure you get it under the skin as well. Apply at least a few hours before and let the bird sit in the fridge. I also use this rub with ground pork and on tenderloin. It's very good but I would not say you can compare it to brining. That's a preference thing. Try the rub out on a chicken. Brine the turkey:)

Yes, brining and using the rub are two separate things. If you haven't brined, try it sometime -- many prefer it much, some don't really care. But you can pretty much be guaranteed a tender, moist bird. Your rub (especially under the skin) would certainly make it special.

Rich

I know they are different ;). I think I have decided on do a basic honey brine from Alton Brown and then rubbing with the Simon and Garfunkel rub.... Should I do both or just stick with the brine only?

I'm a bit on the conservative side. I would just do the brine first or you can do one side under the skin and leave the other just brined. Be generous when you are applying the rub. You have to give it time too.

I'm a bit on the conservative side. I would just do the brine first or you can do one side under the skin and leave the other just brined. Be generous when you are applying the rub. You have to give it time too.
After thinking about it.. I am just going to try the Brine. Seems it will be more appealing to more people. So of the folks I have coming don't have an adventurous palate. haha

Back