Dry Run?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Anyone do a dry run prior to the big day? I typically do; this weekend I'm going to do a 12 lb bird and try out a new side dish and maybe a tweak to my dressing. Will post some pics.

Good idea!
I just pulled a 14# outta the freezer. Need to try a salted one over Hickory this time. Did one in the summer over alder and we liked it. Also want to try a Chorizo dressing and a few other things.
Thanks for the nudge...:wsm:

Tim

It's a good idea if you don't cook turkey that often or want to experiment. Personally I tend to get a couple of 99 cents/pound 12 pounders at Costco this time of year (you may have to dig to find one that small at Costco). I'll cook one now and the other one I'll freeze for later (when they're not 99 cents/pound!).

I'll get a higher end turkey if I make one for guests - usually either Christmas eve or day, and then prime rib the other one. But for playing around at home the loss leader Foster Farms ones are great.

I also think dry runs are a good idea for new things planned for a party, but i never seem to do them. For me, it probably add a little stress at the party, but also a little excitement

Back