1 Year Project: Dry Cured Ham "Prosciutto"

Shelly

TVWBB Member
Last year, I picked up a pair of Berkshire Pork "whole legs" from D'Artagnan, with the plan to make a prosciutto style ham per Ruhlman's Charcuterie.

After cutting out the aitch bone, I salted heavily.
prosc.jpg

Then put in roasting pan, wrapped, and weighted. I bought a web-type ratcheting clamp from Home Depot to add some extra pressure (I wanted that flattened look of prosciutto).

prosc2.jpg

After a month in the fridge replenishing the salt, draining off liquid, I hung them in the wine cellar at my office (nicely controlled temp of 60 and constant humidity). This is the view after about 8 months.
prosc3.jpg

prosc4.jpg

We had a beach party in August, so I took one down and sliced it (served with figs, melons, etc..).
prosc5.jpg

Tasted very much like a prosciutto, nice marbling. It WAS somewhat saltier than a typical prosciutto.

Anyone out there who can help? My concern is if I cut down the initial salting by a week or so, do I have to worry that the ham won't cure all the way through? Will this even help? Or should I salt for a month, then soak for a day?

I've googled on making prosciutto at home, but can't find anything on how to control the saltiness safely.

Thanks!

Hmmm, I can't say this with any kind of authority, but the salt does continue to redistribute itself throughout the meat after curing. So I'm not positive that it needs to be cure to the bone prior to hanging.

I suppose the other option is to cure it to the bone then soak it for a few days prior to hanging. But like you state, how do you know its safe?

I am curious though, your office has a wine cellar?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

I am curious though, your office has a wine cellar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing.
Do you have any vacancies?

Ron

Shelly thats an impressive prodject.

I cant help you with the question but i still like to say thx for a good post.

Ron and J.:

I'm in the wine import/distribution business. Our office has a walk in "cave" for storing samples and putting away rare bottles.

The sales reps and buyers drink wine every day - but as Controller, I'm in the "finance department" and we don't drink during business hours. But there's always wine around for a taste after 5pm, we get wholesale access to Chef's warehouse and D'Artagnan (hence the great meat at low prices), and the office parties are pretty over the top. Also, when I go out to eat at a nice restaurant, someone puts in a word with the head sommelier and I get treated really well.

Definitely a good job for someone who likes food and wine.

If you need an assistant for the assistant's assistant, lemme know.

Will work for prosciutto (as long as you also provide something to wash it down with).

It looks great.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm in the wine import/distribution business. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Any body have a Napkin handy? That looks outstanding. By any chance, are you in Northern California?

Mac:
Long Island, New York.

My personal take was that it was slightly more salty than Prosciutto di Parma, but still very edible. Very porky, with just a bit of the nuttiness you can get when it starts to really age. The second one will have another 6 months on it before we try it. I'll report back.

Just starting on another one for Christmas 2011.

Hey Shelly my back yard is the water and the Throgs Neck Bridge...I can hop on by for a sample of everything?
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I can honestly say that it's stuff like this that keeps me in awe of the people on this site. It's truly labour of love when someone will spend 12-18 months working on a project that will be consumed. I'm still new to the world of Prosciutto but that thing looks delicious.

My hat is off to you sir. I hope the 2nd one has even better flavour.

Heck when that 18 month one is done you'll have to let me know.... We have a customer in Great Neck and friends in Brentwood I should try to visit! haha

Back