Smoked Turkey Question...

James Pavia

Howdy all! Question, I will be attempting to smoke a couple of turkeys this Thanksgiving but I was wondering if I could get some feed back from you guys. In an attempt to get a moist/juicy turkey I thought of brining them and then injecting them. My question is if I brine is it OK to inject also? Or should I just stick with one or the other? Also, I'm looking for a good basting recipe, anyone got one they don't mind sharing? Any other tips/tricks/secrets would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks!:wsm:

FWIW , I think brining AND injecting would be overkill. My plan is to brine the bird , make some nice garlic butter , rub that under the skin , and then smoke away. Dry white meat , to me , is usually caused by over cooking ....
with the smoker , if you pay attention to the internal temp and BELIEVE that the bird is done when the thermometer says so , you are much more likely to end up with nice moist , tender white meat.
And if you go the injecting mode , a lot of people swear by a butter based injection( I hear tony chachere a lot)
But , to me , one or the other will do it.

Back