Modified grate for diffuser

Dean Smiley

TVWBB Member
I’ve been building a mini for a while now, working on it when time allows and like some others here, I wanted my diffuser/heat sink to sit in the very bottom of the pot and I wanted to use the 7440 grate. I had read somewhere in this forum that the 7440 can be forced through the steamer indentation of the Vasconia pot. Because the aluminum is so thin on this pot I thought I might bend it if I forced the grate through so I chose a different route. The 7440 is an all welded grate so I thought that it wouldn’t suffer if it were missing a piece so I cut a section off which allows me to insert or remove the grate at will. While I have yet to cook with the mini there seems to be no sacrifice from removing this piece.
I put this out there as an alternative. Thanks for looking.

7440%20grill.jpg

Dean

get that thing done and cook on her already :)

looks great so far!

It's painted and all ready except for a charcoal ring. I have the material to make it but not the time at the moment. I used the Gold Joe and I don't like the vent holes being so close to the charcoal (I cook on a wooden deck) so I'm making a ring with sloped sides out of 1/2" expanded steel. My WSM 18.5 is doing the cooking in the interim.

Back