bucket for turkey brining

That will work great! In the past I've even used a Homer's Bucket from Home Depot.

I don't have room in my refrigerator to use a large container like that, so I do my brining in a cooler. I usually line the cooler with trash bags so that I can put ice packs and/or ice cubes above and alongside the plastic bags. As long as I start with my brine at 40 degrees F or less and add fresh ice every few hours, keeping sufficiently cold temps has not been a problem for up to 24 hours.

Food grade is the important phrase. Yes, that's a safe bucket to use.

You may ask around at restaurants, bakeries, or delis if they have any free plastic buckets. I've got a nice, square-sided 4 gallon bucket that came from a restaurant. Think barbecue sauce, soy sauce, chocolate syrup, strawberry puree, shortening—all these things come in food grade plastic buckets.

Regards,
Chris

I get those square ones from my local sushi bar...they get wasabi and gari-(pickled ginger) in them. When I get them they are full of used soybean fryer oil with which I filter and use to power my M-B. I've got a long daily commute.

I use Igloo drink coolers (5 Gal kind). They work great, easy to drain. Easy to clean. I always bleach it when I am done washing it out. One cannot be too safe when dealing with poultry.

A tip I read on the board was to use the big Zip-loc XL bags.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html#bags
Then you can use any type of container with out worrying if it's FG. I use my old turkey fryer pot lined with one and you can cinch up the top with a wire twisty and use a less amount of brine. Once done drain it and toss in the trash, no clean up which I like.

Tim

Last edited:
I use Igloo drink coolers (5 Gal kind). They work great, easy to drain. Easy to clean. I always bleach it when I am done washing it out. One cannot be too safe when dealing with poultry.

That's what I use, as well. With a bit of ice in it, I can leave it on the back porch for two days without a problem.

Bill

$32 for a bucket??? Sam's club has food grade 5 gallon buckets for a whole lot less than $32, I mean they're not called "The Briner" but mine has worked for nearly 4 years.

That will work great! In the past I've even used a Homer's Bucket from Home Depot.

The Lowes bucket will be fine. I actually ferment small batches of wine in one of those. Like Chris said, food grade is key. The Homer bucket is great too, but not food grade. I've used them in the past, and simply line it with a Reynolds oven bag.

I have also used the Homer bucket with no ill effects. I did find a local guy selling food grade buckets on Craigslist also. This year though I found a food grade clear bucket actually made in the USA (imagine that) at my local Fred Meyer store for about 3 bucks.

My wife works for a food service and she got me this one at work which came with hard boiled eggs in it. I think if you shmooze anyone you know who works at a restaurant or bar or supermarket you can score a bucket like this for free. And not only do you save money , you keep it out of the landfill.
chicken%20thighs
[/URL][/IMG]

For adding rubs to pork butts, I have been using turkey oven bags. I buy them 2 for $3. I can get 2 large butts in 1 bag. I also apply the rub while the butts are in the bag. Then there is no clean up. All the mess is in the bag.

I bet the turkey oven bag would also work with brine. You might need to put it in a container to support the bag of liquid. You know the bag would be food safe.

Homer Bucket lined with XL or XXL zip lock bag last few years. Works great, and slides right into the beer fridge in the basement.

Just reading through this thread reminds me of all the buckets and coolers I used for brining turkeys before I got a Briner. Yeah, $32 is steep for a bucket, but you pay as much or more for something that says Cambro, Igloo or Rubbermade. And hey-I can go down to the Swedish Bakery and ask nicely they will give me 3.5 or 5 gallon food grade Frosting bucket and lid.

Back