3 rub brisket flat on high heat / foil

Edward Alt

Picked up a nice choice angus beef brisket flat with a nice fat cap from Sam's Club. Rubbed with Excalibur Prime Rib Rub, Head Country (brisket) Rub, and Smoking Guns Hot Rub. Put on the miniwsm with a few chunks of cherry and Kingsford blue using high heat (325-375) fat cap down. At 160 internal, wrapped in foil and put back on fat cap up. Pulled at 212 degrees internal, wrapped in a towel then into the cooler. Took out 35 minutes later, poured drippings into a measuring cup (about 3/4 to 1 cup worth), trimmed off the fat, sliced and poured drippings back over the meat. Saucing with Head Country with a little Plowboys Hot mixed in. Pretty good for a 3 hour smoke and 30 minute rest. mmmmm ...

Dang, forgot to take pics ...

Last edited:
Sounds good. How did the cherry smoke hold up with everything else going on on that brisket? What size was it?

WHAT? NO PICS?!?!? LOL It sounds like an interesting combo. I've not done a brisket on the mini yet but sounds like I need to.

I've done packers on the mini, but it's a tight fit. I use the small weber rib rack with mods so it fits vertical on a cooking grate, then drape the packer over the rib rack. See http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?35225-Smoking-a-packer-brisket-on-the-mini-wsm. If the cooking grate is positioned low enough you can close the lid :). I haven't figured out burnt ends yet, so I switched to smoking brisket flats with a good fat cap (harder to find) which fit on the unmodified mini cooking grate as long as you don't get a long one.

I'm having the brisket for lunch at work today, tomorrow, etc ...

*** key in this is finding a brisket flat with a good fat cap ***

Alot of meat markets like to trim them too much. Sam's Club happened to have choice briskets, and I picked a thick flat that would fit on the mini that also had a good fat cap on it. High Heat (HH: 325-375) to 160 internal fat cap down. Foil, fat cap up to finish. Wrap in towel, into the cooler for 30 min (to 4 hrs). Careful unwrapping it. Save the drippings, pour over sliced brisket.

Here's a pic (mabye)
zoom

I think I used a fairly even mix, maybe a little less of the Smoking Guns Hot, although I just started with the Prime Rib rub, put some of that on, then some of the Head, then some of the Hot. I would expect that equal parts would work fine. I hear alot of people use the Smoking Guns Hot for comps.

Part way thru the smoke, I had to run to the store to get foil. When I returned home, the air smelled like Prime Rib on the front side of the house.

If you try it, please post your experience. Always interested in others experiences ...

Last edited:

Back