Adding charcoal during a cook

Walt Haase

I have just completed my first smoke on my new 18.5 WSM (that is another discussion topic). I added charcoal during the smoke by tossing unlit coals through the door. Most made it to the charcoal ring; some fell to the bottom. I have read where people add lit coals to the smoker; I couldn't toss them in hot.

What's tha best way to add charcoal? Remove the middle section (a lot of heat loss)?

I have considered getting a piece of metal duct, about 5" diameter and use it as a chute to direct charcoals, lit or unlit, through the door to the fire ring.

Your thoughts please.

I just take the middle section off. I was cooking some butts yesterday and needed to add more coal. I had seen recommendations on here to add it with tongs through the access door, but it seemed like that would take forever with a chimney full of lit.

As far as losing heat goes, when you take the middle section off and add lit charcoal, the combination of the additional coals and oxygen makes the smoker run hot. The struggle at that point becomes trying to get the temperature down again, rather than trying to get it back up. I just closed all the vents and had it down to 240 or so in about 10 min or so.

Nick

I take the middle section off too..."Hot squat" style. Works best for me. I use water in the pan and usually find that the coals are approaching being spent around the 8-9 hour mark. Pull the middle/top, stir the coals, add 20 or so unlit, put the middle/top back on, open all vents and she's good to go until everything is done (which is usually another 4-5 hours).

I focus on prevention - use a ton of charcoal to start, and if that somehow isn't enough try to add coals early enough that you can add them unlit.

But that being said one trick with lump is to fish out some larger pieces, fire those up, and then the tongs aren't so annoying.

I'm another "hot squat" person.

I added handles to my WSM so I can have it off dump a full chimney of unlit and back on in 30 seconds or less.

Just beware if you use water. I run dry so i don't have the risk of spillage. I would definately advise against squatting when running wet.

Originally posted by Scooter B:
I would definately advise against squatting when running wet.
Yeah, this is definitely a concern for me but I haven't spilled yet (knocking on wood).

I really want to start running dry but the last 10 overnights I've done have been cooks for parties. Since I've always used water, I've been afraid to deviate from my comfort zone when cooking for a group. I plan on trying a dry overnight soon, when I'm just cooking for the family to get my feet wet...or, I guess, dry.
icon_wink.gif

I've done the hot squat. I've added unlit by chucking through the door. I've added lit by using the gnarly tongs that come with the prepackaged BBQ sets. Whatever you are comfortable with. Just be careful!

I do the "hot squat" when necessary, a holdover from the days when I cooked on a Brinkmann Gourmet (which came with handles on the middle section and wouldn't go more than 6 hours without a refill). When I stopped using water in the pan, I eliminated the potential for spilling scalding water on my feet, so the hot squat method is not really a big deal. Plus, I don't often need to add charcoal in the middle of a cook; like several others here, I always start with a slam-full charcoal ring, even if I'm just cooking ribs. Whatever is left burning when the meat is done, quickly goes out once I shut down all the vents.

Originally posted by Walt Haase:
I have just completed my first smoke on my new 18.5 WSM (that is another discussion topic). I added charcoal during the smoke by tossing unlit coals through the door. Most made it to the charcoal ring; some fell to the bottom. I have read where people add lit coals to the smoker; I couldn't toss them in hot.

What's tha best way to add charcoal? Remove the middle section (a lot of heat loss)?

I have considered getting a piece of metal duct, about 5" diameter and use it as a chute to direct charcoals, lit or unlit, through the door to the fire ring.

Your thoughts please.

I use a garden trowell that is wide enough to hold a few coals.

I have never had to add charcoal yet but I have come close a few times. I too was wondering the best way and now that I am running dry, I too can to the hot squat.

Success! I smoked a small brisket today. Started with a full ring using the Minion method. Had a nice steady fire the entire cook without having to add charcoal. The brisket is resting now; dinner in an hour.

Thanks for all your advice.

Back