Hello from Killeen and Fort Hood Texas

Dalton Breaux

Hello everyone. My name is Dalton and I've been grilling on a Weber kettle for over 30 years. I started smoking meats on an offset smoker about 12 years ago. I've wanted a WSM for the last couple of years and I finally broke down and bought the 22.5" this week. I've yet to use it but instead have spent a lot of time doing research and homework. I bought two pork butts and a pack of leg quarters today that I'll cook this weekend and I'll be sure to relate my first WSM cooking experience here.

Welcome aboard Dalton. I hope you love your WSM as much as I love mine. I recall a place called Maurice's BBQ in Harker Heights when I was there back in the day. I loved that place.

Welcome to the forum Dalton!
Lookin' forward to your future posts!
Enjoy your stay, have a great time! :wsm:

Welcome aboard Dalton. I hope you love your WSM as much as I love mine. I recall a place called Maurice's BBQ in Harker Heights when I was there back in the day. I loved that place.

When were you in Killeen, Dwain? I was born and raised there....graduated from Killeen High School in 1972. Maurice's BBQ is still in the same run down shack but as Maurice passed away many years ago its obvious that he took his BBQ secrets with him. The food there is acceptable but nothing to compare to the product that Maurice produced so many years ago.

I was stationed at Hood with the 7th Cav 1st Cav Div. I and 2 other of my buddies rented a trailer in Killeen. I remember Muarices also and loved eating there though I didn't realize at the time that I would become so engrossed with BBQ like I am today.Welcome aboard Dwain!

Ok, it's official. I did my first pork butt yesterday afternoon late. It's foiled up and wrapped in towels in an ice chest now. After so many years of cooking on a trailered offset pit I almost feel like I'm cheating. I opened the lid at 4 hours to take a picture but other than that I just checked the grill temp with a probe thermometer. 225-250 for 9 straight hours. Amazing.

When were you in Killeen, Dwain? I was born and raised there....graduated from Killeen High School in 1972. Maurice's BBQ is still in the same run down shack but as Maurice passed away many years ago its obvious that he took his BBQ secrets with him. The food there is acceptable but nothing to compare to the product that Maurice produced so many years ago.

I was staioned there in the in the 80's but I went to Maurice's on trips to the area up to about 5 or so years ago. Congrats on your first WSM cook! It is almost like cheating isn't it!

Welcome Dalton. I'm a relatively new member myself. You're in the right spot, lots of good info and great experienced people here. I just purchased a 22 also. I'm trying to educate myself as much as this grey matter can retain. I plan on firing up soon also. Look forward to some good pics. See you around.

Back