First Turkey on WSM

Bradley S.

Apple Brined 12# natural bird, done on 2.5 hrs and incredibly good, I see that lots of folks smoke pre basted birds so we will try one of them next.
DSCN1648.jpg

2.5 hours for a 12 lb bird.! amazing. what kind of temps did you have ? dry pan ? clay saucer ? how much charcoal did you use ? man ! i want to smoke a turkey!
nice job,by the way....:p

2.5 hours for a 12 lb bird.! amazing. what kind of temps did you have ? dry pan ? clay saucer ? how much charcoal did you use ? man ! i want to smoke a turkey!
nice job,by the way....:p

I was full open on all of the vents and maintained 330 degrees pretty much throughout the smoke, we did not look at the bird until the 2.5 hr mark at which time the temp was 170 at the breast so we pulled it. We used a dry pan and used approx. 1.5 chimneys of kingsford charcoal. We were more than pleased of the results and I appreciate everyones feedback!

Looks great!

My only advice is if you do that for the relatives for some event be prepared for that to become a tradition. Next year... "You're smoking a turkey again for Christmas, right?"

Great job! what method did you use for lighting the coals? how much unlit charcoal did you put in the ring? and hoe much lit charcoal did you add? thanks!

Back