Two butts on the mini?

Edward Alt

Thinking about smoking two butts on the mini Saturday night for tailgate party Sunday afternoon (gametime 3pm). The two butt combo packs at Sams have caught my eye (if they still have them), and it would be nice to have leftovers for next week. Not actually going into the game, just tailgating (Chiefs/Raiders). Anyone try this before? Should I expect it to increase smoke time? Or should I just do one?

Two is no problem. May have to add charcoal depending on cook time and size of butts. I did the 2 pack from Sams last weekend, but not on my mini.

Edward, What time do you plan on getting to the tailgate, and how many will you be cooking for? 2 butts on the mini is not a problem, you could place them on their sides, and they should both fit on one grate. Or, if you have 2 grates in your mini, one on each and swap them half way through the cook. Good Luck, and remember to take some pics, or it didn't happen!
Tim

I would have started them Saturday evening. After more discussion with my wife, we are going to go with plan B, take the SJG and a few packs of Johnsonville Hot Links and Beddar with Cheddar sausages along with some pre-cooked cheesy potatoes.

I may still do the two butts one of these days. I do have two or three (for wings) cooking grates on my mini. I would like to have another Maverick 732 if I did two butts though. Currently only have one. I guess a standard meat thermo would work ...

You could always use the BBQ thermometer as your 2nd meat thermometer.
The time frame was my main concern for your tailgate. You would have had to get there awful early or like you said, start them the day before and then finish on site. Either way, you'll have a blast!
Tim

I ended up going with plan B and took the the SJG and a few packs of Johnsonville Hot Links and Beddar with Cheddar sausages. Didn't get any pictures. This was for the Chiefs / Raiders game last sunday. Only went to tailgate, then drove back home :). I will try 2 butts one of these days ...

Back