stainless steel pot instaed of aluminum.

TerryT

stainless steel pot instead of aluminum.

I have a "5 gallon" stainless steel pot (unknown manufacture) in the garage. I put it on my smokey joe and it seems to fit pretty good. The smokey joe top fits well on the top. Is there any reason not to use this ? If it does leak on the bottom do you recommend using woodstove door woven fireproof fabric to stop the leaks ? I just thought I might as well use it instead of purchasing an aluminum pot.

Thanks for your help,

Terry-

Last edited:
Im certainly not an expert , but I can't imagine any reason not to use that pot. It might be a little harder to cut and/or drill than the aluminum , but I bet it'll have excellent heat retention and that's a good thing. I think most people buy aluminum cause they are the cheapest.
Post pictures of your progress , I am dying to make one of these. Good luck.

If it's tall enough, fits good, and you can cut the bottom out with relative ease... go for it and save yourself $40. Use the savings for a good thermometer, unless you have one of those already too, in which case pick up a couple of tri tips; smoked tri tip is very tasty :wsm:

Last edited:
Depending on the "Grade" or thickness of SS you're pot is made of some SS can be a royal PITA to cut/drill if you don't have the right tools.
All my SS pots have an Encapsulated bottom core which if you know somebody with a Plasma cutter will cut it easy-peasy.
Trying to use tin or aviation snips is useless, jigsaw with a FT SS blade will work as long as you lube the stroke with a good cutting oil and go low speed. Angle grinder with a metal cut-off wheel will work also, but you would need several like 2 or 3.
Remember SS is a hard steel, trying to cut it fast will overheat the blade and cause it to melt/warp or break.

Tim

Back