Brining and injecting

Jim Mathews

TVWBB Member
Does brining negate the need for injecting, or are their benefits to doing both on the same bird?

Also, I see some people dry the bird after brining, and let sit in the fridge for a day. Is this to ensure crispy skin?

Jim,

From all that I've read, brining helps to add juciness to the bird. The same as injecting and the same as buying an "enhanced" bird. So you can just buy an "enhanced" bird and not brine or inject and you'll still get a juicy end product. I think there would be no reason to inject an "enhanced" bird since it already has the salt solution in it. On the bird I cooked a few weeks ago, I brined it and it was "enhanced" as well so I cut the salt in the brine in half. Did the brine make it better since it was "enhanced"? I really don't know, but I feel it didn't hurt. I also let it sit in the fridge for 12-14 hours to "dry" it out and the skin did turn out crispy, which is why I dried it. Plus, I also rubbed the the skin with olive oil to help with the crispiness as well. Hope this helps.

Tim

I personally like using Cajun Injector Marinade. I prefer the Roasted Garlic and Herb Marinade. I inject the turkey and let it set about an hour so it gives the marinade time to disperse through the bird. I use a lot of marinade. I recommend trying it at least once. Use a chicken as the test subject. If you like it...Great! If not, chuck it. There are many many flavors and brands out there. You can even make it yourself.

I brine my turkeys first then inject them. Does it make a difference? Don't know...don't care. Once I find a method that produces great results, I duplicate it the same way each time.

My Two Cents...Jim

Back