How Much Turkey for 35 People?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
That's the question. I'm thinking two birds, 15 pounds each. Is that too much?
I wouldn't say that we're particularly big eaters, but there will be a bunch of teenaged boys.

Thanks

years ago. my mom did a 32lb. turkey for 15 pepole. and we all killed it, your popele are going to be hungrey.get two big birds at 30 or 35lbs each. fresh kill is the best.

I've always figured successfully at a little over a pound a person depending upon the family. On my side it works perfectly. On my wife's side, half the bird is left.

Better too much than too little...35 to 40 should do ya. Also are you having other main dishes as well? Or load them up on mashed taters, green beans and stuffing. I usually have enough appetizers for a meal anyways. That's the best part of the evening.

good luck,

ellot

Things is, if you cook that bird and it comes out amazing, your guests will know it's the best bird they've had in years and they will pack it away. Last year, I brined the bird 24 hrs, cooked it in a water bath for 8 hours at 180* and then packed the cavity with aromatics (apple/onion/rosemary/thyme/cinnamon) and smoked it (apple) for 4 hours for color/aroma. My focus/goal was to have a bird that was beautiful and which had a flavorful, moist breast. That 25lb bird (precook weight) got eaten by less than 25 people real fast! There were only scraps for my sammie next day. delicious scraps.
Since my family has shown me what they can do, this year I'm going with two 15-17lbs birds. One will be a repeat of last year's three step labor of love, and the other one will be brined 24hrs and smoked till done. Man I love thanksgiving!

Dont they call 32lb turkeys... baby ostriches???? :D I have never seen a turkey that huge. I am aw struck by 20-25 lb'ers. I am going to have to search out one just to see it first hand.

My wife just came home with a 26lb turkey! I am a little intimidated but I will attempt it on the WSM.... Hope all goes well.

Back