Help with first smoked turkey

T Tutt

Have family coming up to WA this Thanksgiving. The wife and I are pretty excited because we're stationed up in WA and our family is down in TX. It's been a little over 2-1/2 years since we've seen them.

On that, I really want to show them the awesomeness of the Smoking world. I figured there would be no better way then to do up everyone's first smoked turkey! (This is only the main event. You know I'm going to do up some ribs, butts, and a brisket as well throughout their stay haha :wsm:) Since I've never done this with a turkey, I'm looking to you guys for advice. What rub to use, cook time per #, injection, etc?

Any advice would be appreciated. Can't wait to see what you guys suggest. CHEERS! :cool:

I smoked my first turkey last weekend. It turned out AWESOME!! It was an 18lb "enhanced" bird that I used the JD Maple brine for almost 30 hours and then let rest in fridge for 12-14 hours. Then took it out and covered in olive oil and put this RUB on http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/poultry_seasoning.html and let it sit for 30 min with a bag of ice on the breast while I reved up the smoker with K briquetes and a few pieces of cherry wood. I made sure to keep my temp above 300, but closer to 325-350 range, and it took almost exactly 3.5 hours. The skin was perfect (eventhough I don't eat the skin) and the meat was very juicy and tender with a hint of smoke. I won the approval from my wife to do this again on Thanksgiving!! Good luck and thanks for your service!

P.S. Since my bird was "enhanced" I did cut the salt down by half in the brine so it wouldn't be too salty!

I would only add to Tim's post by saying you could do a turkey Beer can style as another method otherwise everything else can stay the same. You don't have to brine but lots do. I have cooked the Butterballs without any brine and they are very moist. I like the BCC style because it allows the Butterballs or any bird for that matter to drain. BGE makes a great turkey rack if you go that way. It is also a pretty neat presentation.
When you are into the web link Tim suggested also check out the Simon & Garfunkle rub. Both of those rubs are excellent.
Your company will be wowed either way.:wsm:

Last edited:
I've been smoking turkeys for family holiday gatherings for a long time now (probably 40 birds over the past 10 years). 2 for Thanksgiving and two for Christmas each year. Last year I butterflied, injected, and rubbed them and everyone said it was the best turkey they'd ever had. Follow this idea from The Virtual Weber Bullet site... I haven't tried the salting aspect of the recipe. I reduced the cooking temp and increased the cooking time.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey8.htm

I'll figure out the name of the injection I used and post it here later.

Good luck!
l

Thanks for your advice, here was my attempt yesterday. I used Tim D's rub from above, 350 F cook temp, apple wood, 2hrs 45 min for this 16lb bird.

As a mod I used 1 chimney of unlit lump and added 3/4 chimney of lit lump. This gave me enough burn time to also cook a pumpkin pie after I pulled the turkey off.

turkey+time+Oct+22+2012.JPG

Alan,

It looks wonderful!! But how were the reviews? :) The skin looks good as well. Was it edible? Nice job!

Tim

Awesome job Alan. For some reason I had the idea you were using a WSM and not a kettle. What did you put in the cavity?

It was great, incredible reviews. For a very simple rub it was amazing. The bbq pumpkin pie was also a big hit.

Gary, the cavity is filled with stuffing, both front and back. In the tin foil is some butter squash. The kettle is used for as much as possible.

Alan

Back