[Feature] BigNum Home LCD Display

Bryan Mayland

TVWBB Hall of Fame
A lot of people have asked for it, and I thought it was a great idea although technically difficult from a character display, but this is upcoming.

You can change your home screen to a "Big Number" display for any probe. This makes it easier to read from further away, obviously. You select which probe to display in BigNum format from the web config page. If this probe is not attached it defaults back to the regular display. There is still some cleanup to do because this takes a lot of code space but what are thoughts on this? Can it be made easier to use (within codesize reason)? Is it worth it?

You and me both, RJ. Maybe we're the only two folks who can't read our HeaterMeters from more than a few feet away. Anyway, I'm going to leave this in because it adds less than a KB and if worst comes to worst I can just remove it later. Should be in git later this week.

And me, especially if it can bounce, scroll, change colours :)
It can totally change colors from whitish blue to off* and bounces and scrolls so fast you can't even see it scroll. Actually these LCDs are pretty terrible compared to computer and TV LCDs and have response times in the hundreds of milliseconds. Trust me, you don't want to see 'em animate.

Yeah I played with some SPI 7-segment display controllers, considered some large graphic displays like the nokia LCD, and was weary of all of them because they both had their drawbacks and would require another splintering of the HeaterMeter source. This seems to work ok (it isn't great though I'll admit) and works on existing hardware.

Anyway, this is all in git now so folks can try it themselves. There's a prebuilt package and firmware image in my build directory.

Back