Suggestion for first butt smoke (specifically timing)

NickD

Hello all!
After a successful first spare rib smoke a couple of weeks ago, and then a repeat performance last weekend, (I think) I'm ready to try some pork butts. I picked up a twin pack of bone-in butts from Costco weighing 14 lbs. I haven't opened them yet, but they seem to be roughly the same size. I think I'll do one but using Mr. Brown, and the other using Kevin's butt rub.

My main question is regarding timing. My wife and I are planning on having people over on Friday evening, and hopefully eating around 5:30 or so. What time would you put the butts on, and what would your target temp be? I'm a little unsure because it seems like some people have their butts done 8-10 hours after starting them, while others have to wait 16-18 hours.

Thanks for the help!
Nick

How do you q?

Water in pan?
Foiled Pan?
Foiled Pan w/Clay?
Lump?

I use RO Lump with the foiled pan and clay, Minion method, butts on top.

Put them on at 4:30am and in 12hrs (give or take 1hr) they should be done if temp is maintained at 250-275. Foil if need be to speed up at the 8hr mark.

Just my thoughts!

The rule of thumb is 1.5 - 2 hours at 225-250 degrees. This is if you just let it rip and don't mess around with foiling or whatever.

Frankly I'd probably put them on before going to bed. They'll probably be done lunchish and you can just throw them in a cooler, foiled, with some towels on top and they'll stay warm for a long time and you can pull them somewhat before the guests arrive.

Option 2 is to do it well before and just stick it in the fridge and warm it up later.

Option 3 is something like cutting them in half, although I think a bigger piece is a bit more reliable.

Option 4 is to go hotter and read up on foiling techniques and start it as early as you can stand.

I was planning on using Kingsford comp (had a Costco coupon for them) with water in the pan, though I could probably be persuaded to go waterless and just foil the pan.

I'd like to put the butts on around 10:30 or 11, then monitor the temps for a couple hours before hitting the sack. Using the 1.5-2 hours per pound rule, this would mean the butts would be done between 10 and 2. How long have you guys safely held the meat in a cooler?

Thanks for the help so far... On another note, I mentioned that I was probably going to use Mr. Brown on one butt, and Kevin's rub for the other. Are there any other recipes I should be considering?

Thanks for all the help! You guys have been great source of information!

Nick

I have used water in ECB's for years and the WSM for the first 15 or so cooks. Then I tried the dry pan with clay and haven't look back JMO.

K Comp burns close to RO.

You can keep butts in a cooler if double wrapped in foil and a towel for 4-6hrs safely.

This is my favorite rub:Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'd go with water if you haven't done overnight cooks before. Cheap insurance, really.

I haven't had to do extended cooler times but folks here have mentioned times that were surprisingly long. If you're concerned leave a probe thermometer in and as long as you're above the "bacteria zone" you're safe. Call it 140. I think you'll be fine but worst case you can always pop it into the oven and goose it along a little.
icon_smile.gif

I like using Plowboys Yardbird on butts.

I'd go with water if you haven't done overnight cooks before. Cheap insurance, really

I agree! Not trying to get you to do this right away, get used to your WSM first then when you can watch it during the day go for it!

I just cooked a twin cryo pack of butts that weighed in at 14 lbs as well. They were done in 9 hours at lid temps between 225-260.

10 hours for 2 7lbers sounds about right. I'll second the Chris Lily rub recipe. Its the only one I use now.

If you can and have the time, the injection with that recipe is wonderful.

I agree with Travis about the Chris Lilly recipe. I did the injection and rub last week and it was the best PP I've ever done. So tender that it pretty much fell apart.

The butts turned out great! I put them on at 9:45 on Thursday evening, expecting them to be done sometime in the morning and then have to reheat them for dinner around 5:30. Even though I kept the temperatures between 225 and 250, the butts weren't done until 4:30 or 4:45 the next afternoon, for a cook time of ~19 hours.

The food was delicious! The family seemed to prefer the Mr. Brown recipe to the Chris Lily rub/injection, but my family does like peppery things.

Thanks for the great advice, the butts were delicious!

Nick

Wow, I'm glad you left lots of time. I'd have started them an hour later and been trying to crank the temperature and praying a little at the end. :)

And I assume you know that pulled pork freezes really well...

Originally posted by Glenn W:
I have used water in ECB's for years and the WSM for the first 15 or so cooks. Then I tried the dry pan with clay and haven't look back JMO.

K Comp burns close to RO.

You can keep butts in a cooler if double wrapped in foil and a towel for 4-6hrs safely.

This is my favorite rub:Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I wish I had tried this sooner! It's easy to put the ingredients together and the final product is the best I've tried so far.

Back