Chipotle Powder Question

Nate C

TVWBB Fan
I would like to add Chipotle Powder to my rub to add some kick to a pork tenderloin I am doing today. How much Chipotle Powder should I add to let's say a cup of rub??

My family likes it hot, but not unbearable hot.

Thanks!

'like it hot' Heat being subjective ... thinking about the couple of store bought chipotle powders I've used, I'd say start with 2tsp in 1C, you can always add more next time or sprinkle directly on the ribs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn W:
'like it hot' Heat being subjective 'like it hot' Heat being subjective ... thinking about the couple of store bought chipotle powders I've used, I'd say start with 2tsp in 1C, you can always add more next time or sprinkle directly on the ribs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see what your saying. 1 being no heat and 10 being unbearable, we like it a 6.

You might start with 1 tsp, mix well into the rub and then taste it. As Shawn says, you can always add more. You'll lose some of the heat in cooking. Chipotle powders vary as much as the peppers themselves, so I always taste my rubs as I mix them.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
You might start with 1 tsp, mix well into the rub and then taste it. As Shawn says, you can always add more. You'll lose some of the heat in cooking. Chipotle powders vary as much as the peppers themselves, so I always taste my rubs as I mix them.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I definately agree. I have had some powders that are pretty tame and others that smack you in the mouth.

Definately give the rub a taste but keep in mind it's going to be only a layer on the top of the meat. Also if you are saucing them, don't forget any added heat your sauce has.

I've been visiting Santa Fe NM a lot the past few years and have learned a lot about chili powders (and gone bonkers for red chili) They do vary a lot so if you want repeatable results buy the same kind.

Chipotle is made from smoked jalapeno peppers so heat can vary as well as smoke.

I make a rub with some New Mexico Hot and the rub tasted very spicy on the tongue. however after 5 hours the ribs didn't taste spicy at all.

Unlike chili on the stove, I am thinking that rubs may be better using chili powder for deep roasted flavor but use Cayenne as your reliable heat dial.

If you like red chili flavors experiment with Ancho (mild), New Mexico (hotter) and Chimayo (deeper flavor and heat) red chilis.

Back